Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overnight Pork Shoulder Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overnight Pork Shoulder Cook

I've had my PBC for just over 2 years now. Last year I did my first overnight cook after getting tired of the stress of trying to nail dinner time. Now there is no going back! It's taken a lot of trust building, for the PBC, for me, and my better half. Outside of only using one bar with chicken, I don't try to control the temps anymore, I've learned to trust the barrel...even though watching the temps can sometimes be a white knuckle ride!

With that said, tonight is a 7ish # pork shoulder and it's still partially frozen.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200528_232440.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.14 MB ID:	853479

I applied the rub at 11am this morning (Meat Church The Gospel and Meat Church Holy Voodoo), then put it back in the fridge to sit until it cook time.

Since I don't have a scale, one thing I always do is count the charcoal...it's slow, it takes time but it's part of my process. For long cooks I always use 160 brickets, 40 into the PBC chimney, 120 + 1 large apple chink and 1 small hickory chunk into the PBC charcoal basket, a Royal Oak Tumbleweed underneath. Using a very loose 15-10-10 method, the charcoal stays in the chimney for 23 minutes, then into the barrel with the lid off/no bars for 5 minutes, then lid on/ no bars for the next 10ish minutes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200528_230924.jpg Views:	0 Size:	384.1 KB ID:	853480

11:30pm the pork shoulder placed. Very blurry sorry!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200528_233044.jpg Views:	0 Size:	411.5 KB ID:	853481

11:30 pm, Meat: --, PBC: 360
    12:00 am, Meat: 32, PBC: 275
    12:30 am, Meat: 49, PBC: 274
    01:00 am, Meat: 65, PBC: 272
    01:30 am, Sleep
    05:00 am, Meat:152, PBC: 233, Back to sleep
    07:00 am, Meat: 160, PBC: 252
    07:30 am, Coffee started

I'll update this post throughout the cook
    Last edited by cashelton; May 29, 2020, 07:03 AM.

Interesting. Interested in this play by play.

Comment

How is the cook going. Now that I have had my PBC burned in for a few years, I feel like I could do an overnight cook fairly easily. Mine stays very solid for hours and hours while I am awake. However, it seems like every time I go to sleep, things get weird. It is like it knows when I am not there, it wants me to sit out on the patio and keep it company............

Looking forward to your results!

Comment

• cashelton
        cashelton commented
        Editing a comment
        My PBC knows I'm never too far away!

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        I think that PBC is in love.

K.

I don’t have a PBC, but I love overnight cooks. I used to do them all the time when I had a cheap bullet water smoker, but I hated getting up at 4 am to add fuel.
      Last edited by LA Pork Butt; May 29, 2020, 09:39 AM.

Comment

I’m watchin’ too 👀👀👀 !
        Last edited by Greygoose; May 29, 2020, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Hello? The wait is killing me!

Comment

• cashelton
            cashelton commented
            Editing a comment
            Still rolling along!

08:00 am, Meat: 165, PBC: 250

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200529_080205.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	853522

Comment

• cashelton
            cashelton commented
            Editing a comment
            He loves the long cooks!

PBC, PBC, PBC!!!!

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Rock solid baby!

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Your pup doesn't seem to be much interested, but I sure am. Keep the posts coming. This is fun!

K

09:00 am, Meat: 170, PBC 249

Time to take a peak

Name:	20200529_085218.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	853554

Time to move to the grate!

Name:	20200529_085544.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	853556

Name:	20200529_085551.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	853553

Name:	20200529_085939.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	853555

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            With the bone hanging out like that I would think you are done. Is it probe tender?

• cashelton
            cashelton commented
            Editing a comment
            There were parts that were, other parts weren't quite there yet

I want some,,,,,

Comment

• cashelton
            cashelton commented
            Editing a comment
            Come on over!

Nice looking breakfast! 🤣

Comment

10:00 am, Meat: 188, PBC: 275

Name:	20200529_100050.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	853586

In this game of inches, I've got less than a foot to go!

Comment

11:00 am, Meat: 198, PBC 246
              Probe tender, covered in plastic wrap and foil, moved to a 170° oven to rest until dinner!

Name:	20200529_105621.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	853612

Name:	20200529_105630.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	853611

Name:	20200529_105636.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	853610

​​​

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                Jfrosty27 commented
                Editing a comment
                That’s a winner. Well done my friend.

Perfection on a plate !!!

Comment

Nice cook. All of my pork butt cooks on the PBC are overnight at this point. I agree with you about not wanting to wait/rush for dinner, especially since i never wrap. Put it in the night before, take it off in the morning, put it in a cooler/oven to stay warm, and its ready whenever you want it.

This past weekend i arranged the charcoal a little differently. I moved all the unlit charcoal to 3/4 of pan, leaving an opening in 1/4 of the basket. I put small pieces of wood in 4 different sections of the pan and then dropped lit charcoal in the open section of the pan (rather than spreading the lit charcoal over most of the pan). I had a pretty consistent temp in the PBC that lasted over 8 hours. If i am just doing 1-2 butts i put them on the grate rather than hanging. I will often check the temps on my phone overnight, but otherwise i don't have to touch the PBC at all and the meat always turns out great.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good info. Thanks!

Kathryn

• Alabama Smoke
                  Alabama Smoke commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ryan D wondering if you turned the basket to any particular position in relation to the intake vent...for example I have thought of this and thinking I would place the lit coals (in the quarter of basket in your example) on opposite side of barrel from vent, etc. Wondering if this would make a difference in temps as well as in burn time of coal load, etc. Seems that might keep heat down and cause the fire to work toward air supply?/?
                  Last edited by Alabama Smoke; May 30, 2020, 06:50 AM.

• Ryan D
                  Ryan D commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Alabama Smoke. I put the lit briquettes closest to the intake vent. i didn't leave the lid off or anything at to get the PBC up to temp so i wanted to make sure it took off. I'll be a little more scientific next time with the details (# of briquettes, ect) and save the temp curve from my Smoke and share.

Excellent cook. I love overnight cooks for pork butt. All I do these days.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here