Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next PBC cook -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next PBC cook -

Saturday’s cook will be 3 racks of St Louis Cut ribs (3 lbs each), angus chuck shoulder roast also weighing 3 lbs, and 2 chickens 5 lbs each (if time allows).

Chuckie
    will have dry brined for 48 hr (half the salt as last time), and coated in a ½ BBBR ½ MMD.
    Planning on 6 – 8 hrs of cook time, plus 2 hrs rest in cambro/oven. 8 - 10 hrs total time.
    Wrapping at 165 with just a little extra liquid. More concerned with moistness/tenderness than bark on this one. This should shorten cook time a bit as well.

Ribs
    dry brined 48 hours. coated in a modified Meathead Dust plus a little extra brown sugar on 1 rack. 1 will be sauced. 1 will be served dry rub only. 1 will be sauced and wrapped. Never wrapped a rack before. Time for SCIENCE!
    Planning on 3 ½ - 4 ½ hrs time. All ribs started at the same time. 1 rack will be wrapped for 1 hr, then put on the grate to firm back up. I’m thinking this will be like a 2-1-1 ish.

Chicken
    Trying to follow Kathryn’s approach for smoked chicken halves.
    Planning on 1 ½ hours – ish.

Plan of attack (which I sure will vary upon execution)

Trying to keep temps 260 ish ….. until chicken time, then open up to hot. Trying to get more comfortable at higher temps.

7am - light Kingsford Charcoal. Adding 2 chunks of hickory. Charcoal arranged OCD style.
    7:30ish - coals are ready. Ribs and Chuckie go on.
    9:30-10:30 – Ribs – bark is set. Meat is starting to pull back from bone. 1 rack sauced. 1 rack left to ride. 1 rack wrapped.
    *1 hr after wrap. – Ribs unwrapped. Check bark. Set on grate to firm up if necessary.
    ** ribs moved to hold when each rack is ready.
    Lunch ish - Eat tasty ribs.
    11:00 – 2:00 Monitor Chuckie Temp. wrap at 165 degrees.
    2:00 – 4:00 pm Monitor Chuck until 207. Move to Cambro for 2 hrs.
    2:00 –3:00 pm IF Chuck is close to done, AND coals look strong, open up PBC to HOT and add chicken. ELSE, reload coals after Chuck is done.

4:00 Pm – 6:00 pm – finish chicken.
    Supper Time with Chicken, Chuckie and Leftover Ribs. Serve with Texas mop sauce.
    Taunt dogs because they can't have delicious bbq.

My wife asked that I try to cook at least a week’s worth of meat. This is more than enough. Will probably have to put some in the freezer. Any tips on freezing and reheating?

Sounds like a full day. I don't brine ribs over night. I put my rub (it has salt) on first thing in the morning of the cook then go about starting the fire and coffee. I just did a 4 STL and 2 STL cook last week. Both cooks were just over 3 hours. Also did a whole chicken in one hour. Time are for guidance, temp and probe tender rule.

Comment

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      Appreciate the guidance on times. You're just letting the PBC do it's thing, temp wise?

I'm trying to get over myself and get comfortable with that.
      Also, trying to mentally build in extra time.

I have a PBCjr, so I stick to smaller cooks of one type of meat so I'm probably not too much help, but I've never wrapped ribs in mine or brined them more than an hour. I do like to put them in the freezer during lightup stage to give the smoke ring a boost.

You are going to love the chuckies! I've mentioned this before, but they turn out so good in the PBC I've stopped doing brisket.

Vacuum seal the leftovers for freezing and reheat out of the bag after thawing in the oven. A lot of folks here microwave their leftover Q, but they're all evil.
    Last edited by N227GB; May 28, 2020, 12:15 PM.

Comment

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      If I can get the chuckies to come out right, and get done on 1 set of charcoal, I'd be real happy.

I like to do cooks similar to yours. When it's chicken time, I use only one bar in the PBC. It brings the temps up, and a faster chicken cook!

Comment

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      That's the plan. Still learning to control the temps with magnets and rebar. Love it!

Hey - where's a good bbq joint in McKinney? We're about to head that way in a couple of weeks to see family in Sherman.

• cashelton
      cashelton commented
      Editing a comment
      Hutchin's in McKinney and Lockhart's in Plano would be my 2 recommendations.

Well, I've had a severe case of squirrel brain this morning.
    Forgot to put my foil liner down.
    Forgot to add hickory chunks.
    Was real careful to arrange the charcoal to fit more in, lit it with lighter fluid, left the lid off too long, and had temps over 500 degrees. Thankfully didn't have meat on yet.
    Hosed the barrel down to get it below 400. Held at 260 for a bit then crashed to 160. Opened up all the extra vents and got to 200. Have more charcoal in the starter to add.

Guess I thought this was too easy from last week.
    Today has been nothing but user error and ID ten T problems.

I think it'll all still turn out fine, just take a little longer.

New rule - no more bbqing before coffee.

Comment

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      Got temps to stabilize after adding more charcoal from the starter.

Guess I needed to learn how to add charcoal at some point

2 racks in the oven holding. 1 more finishing up.

Chuckie just hit 160.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      HOSED THE BARREL DOWN. I'm rolling laughing over here trying not to cough up my freshly eaten hamburger steak with Heinz57!!

Yeah, it was a rocky start for sure, but the ribs came out.
    Attached Files

Comment

The test rack that I wrapped ended up being a little soft, but the other 2 racks came out great. I know folks use that technique but at least for me, right now, I'm gonna stick to nekkid.

Ive always done BBs. This was a first attempt at SLCs.
      Had a good clean pull. More moisture in the meat. Bark wasn't quite there.
      But if I can have the kind of hiccups I had this morning and still get good ribs, I'm pretty happy.
      Feels like I had 4 fumbles and still won the game.

Need better execution next time but results are good so far and the chuckie is cruising along.

205 deg after 7 hrs

​
      Last edited by BFlynn; May 30, 2020, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Chuckie hit 210. Probe feels like a knife through butter

Time to rest
        Last edited by BFlynn; May 30, 2020, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Made a skewer of the skirt from the SLCs to smoke with the chicken
          Attached Files

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            A couple of tips FWIW:
            Try hooking those yardbirds closer to the armpit and through a rib space. That way you don't have a hole poking through the meatiest part of the breast.

Also hang that one rebar on the diagonal so your meat has more room to "breathe".

Kathryn

• BFlynn
            BFlynn commented
            Editing a comment
            Good to know!

Chuck roast came out great.
          ​​​​​​Bark is good.
          Moist.
          Wife is happy.
          Dogs are jealous
          Attached Files

Comment

That chicken is great!

Didnt get the temp up high enough to get the skin crispy on its own, but I hit it with a blow torch and it crisped up nicely.
            You can watch it just shrink up.

Comment

All looks really good. My only advice would be to stop messing around with magnets and the rebar and trying to control the PBC temperature. That's not the way it was designed. Just let it do its thing. These days, I only put a pit probe into my PBC if I'm cooking something that is going to run for long enough that I may need to add more charcoal.

Comment

• N227GB
                N227GB commented
                Editing a comment
                Agreed!

• BFlynn
                BFlynn commented
                Editing a comment
                I need to get there. Trying to just trust it.

Sounds like a great save on that lighting technique misstep. Congrats. Qing is all about setting the can of beer down and thinking on one's feet. I don't use lighter fluid to start my cooks, but many folks here do.

I'm super impressed with that chuck roast--it came out exactly when you wanted it to. And the ribs look tasty.

I bet that chicken was a revelation. I never get the breast meat as moist with any other method besides the PBC. It rocks chicken. In fact, I just smoked 2 chickens and a hanger of 6 Hot Italian Sausages last night. As my husband finished his first bite of chicken breast, he said, "you haven't lost your touch". Nice words from a great hubby.

That must have been a fun cook. I love smoking all day on my cookers, especially on a pretty day.

Kathryn
              Last edited by fzxdoc; May 31, 2020, 07:49 AM.

Comment

• BFlynn
                BFlynn commented
                Editing a comment
                Yesterday was fun. Today is better - eating bbq without any work!

The chicken is good enough that I had chicken while a rack of ribs was taunting me.

Now I'm thinking about smoked chicken and dumplings, or maybe tortilla soup in a day or two.

Leftovers
              Attached Files

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                Seems like every time you eat something off the PBC I'm eating chicken tenderloins. Today's were served in fish fry with rice.

• BFlynn
                BFlynn commented
                Editing a comment
                That smoked bacon wrapped chicken tenders looked pretty great.

Hope you're stocked up on chicken. We'll be having these leftovers for the week.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here