Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Cook in the JBBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Cook in the JBBC

I have generously been granted custody of the Jerod Brussard Barrel Cooker (JBBC) and am looking forward to the first cook tomorrow.
    (Will Post Pics)

I've reset the machine to "default" as much as possible. I want to get a baseline for technique and flavor profile before I start tweeking recipes and what not. So mostly, just "letting it do it's thing". Will monitor and record temps for data points.

Tomorrow's cook will be two racks of baby back ribs (3.5 lbs each), and one choice chuck roast also weighing 3.5 lbs.
    Chuckie will have dry brined for 48 hr, and coated in a modified BBBR.
    Ribs are coated in a modified Meathead Dust. 1 will be sauced. 1 will be served dry rub only.

Plan of attack (which I sure will vary upon execution)

7am - light Kingsford Charcoal and heavy lighter fluid per designer's instructions. Adding 2 chunks of hickory bc I can't leave anything alone.
    7:20ish - coals are ready. All meat goes on. Already hooked and kept in fridge.
    Have a ranch water or two. Gotta stay hydrated!
    Lunch ish - rib meat starts to pull back from bone - sauce 1 rack. cook until ready.
    Eat tasty ribs. Post pics to make y'all jealous, I mean, get constructive compliments.
    Have more ranch water. Monitor Chuckie Temp.
    Sometime near 3pm (+/- 2hrs) Chuckie hits 170-180. Wrap and put on grate. Keep on grate until IT hits 210.
    Have last ranch water.
    Move Chuckie to 200 degree oven for 1 hour.
    Rest in cambro until ready.
    Make last ranch water for real, this time.
    Supper Time with Chuckie and Leftover Ribs. Serve with Texas mop sauce.
    Taunt dogs because they can't have delicious bbq.

Tuesday. Have big headache. Post remaining pics. Make cheesesteaks.

Any glaring holes in my plan? Additional things I should be thinking about?

What plan! Wish I was your best friend.

Comment

Twas great meeting ya!! It rained on the way over there so my truck got washed. The trip got my oil good and hot so the oil change went great. Here's proof of the pre-delivery burn out.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200524_160520.jpg Views:	0 Size:	298.1 KB ID:	851136

Comment

That cooker has a lot of history!

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Pbc, pbc, pbc, pbc!

Did it come with meat.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, pretty sure a cockroach got burnt up in the barrel, so remnant meat.

Any glaring holes in my plan? Additional things I should be thinking about?
        Yup.

Give yer dogs A Treat.

Have a Fun Cook!

Comment

Did Jerod give you instructions on how to lack the crid?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            HeeHee!

If that PBC could talk...

Kathryn

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            "Whew, a cook without being modified or having 4-5 briskets shoved down my throat."

Meat went on at 730.
          ​​​
          JBBC jumped to 360, then settled in at 285. I put foil around two of the rebar holes and now it's sitting at a steady 265.

Fingers crossed.
          ​​​​​​
          Attached Files

Comment

• Driverdan
            Driverdan commented
            Editing a comment
            So you double hook?

• Driverdan
            Driverdan commented
            Editing a comment
            Really like the way you placed the pit probe on the rebar. I have just been hanging it through the rebar hole.

• BFlynn
            BFlynn commented
            Editing a comment
            Seemed like double hooking is the thing to do. I might install a safety grate at the bottom. I used the skewer for the chuckie.

probe had a clip, so I clipped it in the middle..... that's about as much thought as I put into it. I may get probes with longer wires.

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
          If that PBC could talk...

Kathryn
          This morning it would say - "who is this amateur? Why have I been sent down to A ball?!?"

Comment

Ribs came out spot on.
            At 3 hrs meat was pulling back from the bone.
            Sauced and put back on pit for 30 mins.

Good bark.
            Pulls clean off bone. Tender with out being mushy.

Wife isn't feeling well so these are resting in the oven at 160. We'll see if there are any left when she gets up.

Chuckie has been at 155 for 90 mins. But I'm not in a hurry.

​
            Attached Files

Comment

I need to figure out how to take better pics
              Attached Files

Comment

Chuckie wrapped and in the oven.
                Charcoal gave out after 8 1/2 hrs.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Editing a comment
                  That's a good burn on a day like today.

Chuck roast came out mostly good.
                Good smoke profile.
                Tender enough to finger pull.
                I over did it on the dry brine. And next time will for sure aim for Prime beef.

But PBC did its job.

Attached Files

Comment

Nice job for your first PBC cook! For a little better temp control on smaller cooks like this I use one rebar put in crosshatch wise. Then use magnets to cover/uncover the holes I’m not using, this seems to help me a lot with temps.

Comment

• BFlynn
                    BFlynn commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Once I took the ribs off, I used the magnets to cover the rebar holes. I was surprised how much I could adjust the temps. I seemed to be able to adjust temps in about 10 degree increments.

Will definitely consider only 1 rebar next time. My thought had been to spread the meat as much as possible to give each more space.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here