Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone found/built a dome lid that fits the PBC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone found/built a dome lid that fits the PBC?

I'd really like to be able to find a domed lid like on a weber that fits over the top of the PBC. That way I could put a grill grate across the rebars and cook an extra layer of meat, or I could bring the charcoal pan up to the normal grate level and use the upper rebar level grate to cook like on a standard kettle, with indirect heat zones and the ability to reverse sear.

Has anybody found a hack to do this? Seems like it would be a huge and easy upgrade that would add a good deal of real estate. Plus, the vents on a normal dome lid might help add greater management of temperature control.

I'm not very handy, so I'd love to be able to just buy something and throw it on there, but for something this important to me, I'd be willing to either figure out how to mod it, or find someone with the skills to help me out.

Surely I'm not the first person to think about this?

I went on eBay and bought an 18.5” new cheap grill for $45 a few months ago. Kept the lid and grate and tossed the rest. It doesn’t fit perfectly... just sets on top, but it does the job. My seller was from Hong Kong and I don’t see her selling that item now. There are others, but a bit pricier.

Comment

Just for grins and giggles I took the 18" dome from my Weber Jumbo Joe and placed it on top of the PBC, but the fit was not good enough to call it a fit IMO. The bottom lip of each lid is totally different so even though they are supposedly of the same diameter, they do not work for smoking. If I could find a dome lid to fit the PBC, I would definitely be interested in the additional possibilities.

Comment

• BFlynn
        BFlynn commented
        Editing a comment
        How tall would you want the dome lid to be?
        How much extra space are you looking for?

Interesting,

You could drill four holes, slide in some bolts and nuts and make it so the grate would sit just below where the rebar sits. The you could still use the PBC lid as you normally would. That would be a v very simple and easy hack that you could do, instead of trying to find a lid to fit is perfectly.

Comment

A year or two ago I looked around Walmart for a cheap grill that I could scavenger the lid as a "rain hat" for my PBCjr. Never did really find anything. These days I use it at my office where I have a better rain shelter area than at home. Nothing will drop a PBC temp faster than rain.

Comment

• NSR_BBQ
          NSR_BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I've used a EZ up canopy to keep the PBC dry when its raining or when there is a chance for rain. Make sure you have a way to secure the canopy to the ground if there any gusty winds with the rain.

About nothing dropping a PBC temp faster than rain...how about an ice storm for us folks in the northern US during winter.

Interesting comments. My reason for looking for a domed lid was to be able to set a dutch oven and lid on the rack or possibly on the rebars themselves and still get the lid back on the PBC. I could add nuts and bolts further down the drum and use the stock lid, not sure how much hotter the pot would get that way.........hum a project just came to mind...drop a probe down that far and find out! Also both of my dutch ovens have bails attached to the bottom so I could hang the pot from the rebars and it would be a non issue. I also have a 12 " Lodge iron skillet (outfitted with two short stubby handles rather than the traditional long handle) I have cooked sides in on the PBC. It will sit on the rack as is and gives a great smoky flavor to potatoes, beans etc.

Regardless a domed lid would be nice in the rain.

Comment

I just added 2 sets of nuts to add 2 extra racks.
          Next time I fire it up, I'll check the temps at 2 grate levels.
          But I wouldn't expect they'd be much different.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
            Alabama Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I would love to hear about the temp differences. I agree I doubt it would be very much.

I can say from experience from a bullet smoker I once had that had a setup for 2 racks.............remember those bolts sticking out for the top grate, when you go to place the lower rack or when lifting it out! Knuckle skinners!

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            As if you didn't already have enough mods on that PBC courtesy of its former owner. It's a good idea, though. I would have thought Jerod would have done that as well with that brisket machine. Let us know how you like it.

Kathryn

• BFlynn
            BFlynn commented
            Editing a comment
            I've done several mods/updates.

Have 1 more thing to do, and then I'll post them all

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here