Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PB timing when starting frozen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PackWolf
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Jerod! I make no promises it stays that way. It is less than a month old.

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    It's cooks like that which lends one to drill multiple holes in a PBC.

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    Nice, dat is one clean PBC!!

• Tim E
    replied
    Well so far I've pulled the small PB off when it hit 203 and put in the faux cambro. I also foiled rebar holes to slow the pit temp down and subsequent IT of the larger PB. The larger PB is holding around 189 degrees.

Leave a comment:

• Tim E
    replied
    Well following up on this subject....
    I started two pre-brined, rubbed and frozen PB's last night ( A 3.7 and 4.9) at 11:50 PM. I was hoping to have these ready for pulling for a 1 pm BBQ today. It seems a was a little ambitious with my start time as the smaller PB is reading 198 IT and my larger PB reading 180 IT already. I guess this would be the first PB cook where my PBC is operating in the proper temperature ranges as my last cook took 11 hrs for approximately the same sized PB's (not frozen).

I will have to pull the smaller PB off soon and I dont think the 4.9 lber will be far behind. It being approximately 7 am now, I am going to have to hold these PB's over for approximately 5-6 hrs until BBQ time. Any great ideas on how I can keep these in good shape until then? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6761.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	85013

Leave a comment:

• PackWolf
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PB on PBC.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	84470
    I was a chicken and slid the grate underneath obviously by the time this picture was taken.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Tim E
    replied
    Those pics are impressive. Wow, liking the 5 hunks of meat. That's a full PBC!

Leave a comment:

• Tim E
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks, I'll rack these and shove the probe in later in the cook. Maybe 4-5 hrs in or so.

• _John_
    replied
    Old pic of them hanging on 2 a piece, haven't got many recent hanging pics.

Name:	PulledTest1.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	84367

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    Few pics of butts, briskets....

Name:	2bu1br.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	84362 Click image for larger version

Name:	4briskt5 - Copy.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	84363 Click image for larger version

Name:	5briskets003.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	84364 Click image for larger version

Name:	5brisketshooks1003.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	84365

Leave a comment:

• IvyH
    replied
    I'd love to see some pictures of a butt or a whole brisket hung on hooks in a PBC if anyone has some to share.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    Mine are different. The butt has a thicker side that I put the hooks in, and a thinner I put facing down. It helps, especially when I fill it up, to put those wider/thicker parts facing up. Kinda like with brisket, though not as extreme.

• _John_
    replied
    Honestly I have done my last couple butts on the rack anyway, to really be sure they don't fall you need 4 hooks, and at that point they are hanging in the same position they would be if on the grate. I don't really see a point in hanging butts anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    Just put it on the rack, on the opposite side of the intake vent. Meaning, facing the vent outside the barrel, I go to the side (left or right) that the flap is pushed over to. Mine is pushed to the left, leaving the opening to the right, so I go to the left.

Hooks would have to be inserted pre-freeze. Doc blonder will lube up a small steel rod and insert pre-freeze, then remove it and insert his food thermometer for the cook.
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; May 22, 2015, 04:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tim E
    replied
    Great. Thanks for the timing info!
    _John_ or anyone else that has done this on the PBC: I just thought of something...
    How did you hang this from the hooks when it was (frozen) rock hard? Possibly heat up the hooks super hot and slide it in? I guess I could just rack it up for the entire hook. I was hoping to do an overnight cook on this and racking it maybe the best way to make sure I am able to sleep.... Any ideas?

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here