Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PB timing when starting frozen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• _John_
    replied
    As Jerod says you are looking at 60-90 minutes extra, it will cool down the pit a bit more than usual for the first hour, so know that you might have to make that adjustment. Mine from frozen was great, wouldn't hesitate at all.
    You'll also get more smoke on there, so if you are sensitive to that then be careful.

Leave a comment:

• mhalbrook
    replied
    Can't speak for the time, I'm still trying to perfect the Butt, but I can say from freezer to Grill worked fine. I started about an hour earlier than usual.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    You are probably looking at an extra hour to hour and a half. Whatever time it takes the pit to get that sucker up to about 36 degrees, then your regular cooking time.

Leave a comment:

• Tim E
    replied
    Thanks for weighing in guys, that's what I thought as well until I recently read and asked questions on this site regarding freezer to pit. A few weeks back I read some dialog on the main site dry brining page comment area where Jerod stated he would recommend this method. I also found the thread listed below where Jerod Broussard and Doc Blonder discuss going straight from freezer to pit.

http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for...a-frozen-roast

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    I would also defrost them first. (in the fridge of course)

Leave a comment:

• Ailkiw
    replied
    Just my 2 cents here but I would take them out of the freezer and into the fridge now and let them defrost there. It will take a couple of days but they need to loosen up gradually. Throwing a frozen mass like a pork butt onto the fire will "shock" the meat from a thermo-dynamic perspective. Right now, think of the meat as having large spears of ice that are distributed throughout. Putting them on the BBQ frozen will melt those spears and leave holes in the meat. Those holes will let massive amounts of moisture out and surely give you a dried out lump of protein. A gradual thaw will allow the meat fibers to slowly tighten up the holes left behind by the freezing as the ice melts. Then you should have no problem. In addition, all the moisture leaking out will surely have an impact on the fire and possibly keep choking it out. Hope it works out. Cheers, Andy.
    Last edited by Ailkiw; May 22, 2015, 12:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tim E
    started a topic PB timing when starting frozen

PB timing when starting frozen

I am looking at pulling out a couple of pork butts from my freezer for Memorial day. I dry-brined, rubbed, and froze these a few weeks back. They are approx. 5lb and 3lb pieces. I am curious if anyone knows how much additional time I should budget to my cook time-frame given that these are frozen.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here