Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ThermaQ or Similar Thermometer on PBC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ThermaQ or Similar Thermometer on PBC?

I've had my PBC for a few months now and absolutely love it. I know Noah and company aren't big using a thermometer on the PBC but I'm having a large (25 people) BBQ in a couple of weeks and was thinking about getting the Thermo Works ThermaQ to 1. monitor the temp 2. Keep guys who only microwave meat from opening the lid while I'm having a drink or checking in on the score. ie Hey moron, cant you see I'm trying to keep a constant temperature? We're here for good ribs, not to make a run to In-N-Out.

Questions:
    Have you used the ThermaQ? How do you like it?
    Where would I run the cable? Under the lid or through the rebar holes?

Specializing in cool, unique and professional temperature tools. Super-Fast thermocouples, thermistors, infrared thermometers, data logging and more.

Thanks

That's a good thermometer. Or you can save some cash and get a Maverick ET-732.

The wires go through the rebar holes. Under no circumstances should you run them under your lid.

Welcome to The Pit! We're glad you're here.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit Bruce

Comment

Welcome Aboard Bruce

Comment

Welcome Bruce!

Comment

I have a PBC and a Maverick ET-733. Really slick to run it through the rebar holes and forget about it. Set the alarm in case there is a temp change/you're not paying too much attention. Its especially nice since you can carry the receiver so you have it with you when you're doing things like checking the score or grabbing a beer.

When I used mine most recently it rained so I covered it and sat inside, checking the temp periodically. Really glad I had it that day.

Comment

Thanks, everyone. I'm glad I found it and the amazing tips and suggestions everyone has.

TheHoff - I'll have to check out the Maverick. Can I use it without making Top Gun references all day?

Comment

I have a Thermoworks TW8060 (BBQ Package) which is a cousin to the ThermaQ. It's great and really accurate but I don't use it much. LOL. Primarily, it's not wireless. My primary now is the Maverick (which is half the price) and have yet to complain. Saves the headache of running in and out to check temps. Just run the probes through the rebar holes as mentioned above. I even keep the Maverick receiver on my night table during the night when doing an overnight brisket. (The wife's not crazy about the loud beep though at 3am when the temp goes out of range. :-) ) I'm thinking about giving the iCelsius a whirl because it connects through Wifi but have yet to pull the trigger on that one.

Comment

I'm with boss on this one, just use some Mavs and youll be good to go. That's all i ever use.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here