Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well used and broken in PBC has developed a lid leak!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well used and broken in PBC has developed a lid leak!

No I have never dropped the lid, but it is now leaking smoke and its difficult to get temps much below 300*. I have read everything I can find here as to weights, gaskets, clamps, etc and there is a lot here! I am looking for the easiest and quickest EFFECTIVE way of fixing this.

I am wondering if cleaning the underside of the lid where it engages the barrel as well as the top edge of the barrel well and installing a good gasket would be the best overall fix. If you have done this, how did you clean it (mine is quite gunked up) and was that enough to fix things or did you still need clamps or weights to complete the job.

Also wondering what is the best gasket to obtain for the job.

While bricks wrapped in something to avoid damage to the lid seems easiest, that really does not appeal to me. Experienced comments as to what worked for you and what did not, are definitely sought!! Thanks in advance. Tom
    Last edited by Alabama Smoke; May 5, 2020, 07:59 AM.

I just applied a "lava lock" nomex type stick on gasket when mine was new. Never had any problem since going on 2 yrs.

I would say clean it for adhesion, apply and that should take care of it.

Comment

• N227GB
      N227GB commented
      Editing a comment
      Good advice here! I have a Lava Lock on the shelf ready if I ever have a leak in the future.

My PBC did exactly the same thing: began leaking under the lid rim after about 2 years of heavy use. The lid looked fine, so I figured that maybe the barrel was slightly out of round. The leak occurred in the area of the barrel seam.

I fixed it with Nomex Lava Lok, as others have suggested. Quick, easy, and gets the job done.

One thing to note: occasionally after several cooks I leave the lid ajar and let the fire burn out after a cook. This heats up the gunk on the lid. I then scrape that gunk off with a putty knife. But placing the lid ajar "cooks" the Lava Lok after a while making it less effective, so the leak may come back. I've not replaced the Lava Lok yet since when I now see leaks I just whack the rim with the rubber sole of my BBQ shoes which solves the problem. But sooner or later I'll probably have to replace the Lava Lok.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; May 5, 2020, 10:07 AM.

Comment

• RustyHaines
      RustyHaines commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc I want to get in on the front end of this BBQ shoe market ! I think I have many ideas for specialty footwear !

• Jared49
      Jared49 commented
      Editing a comment
      The question begs to be asked, is Patty one of your nick names???

• Alabama Smoke
      Alabama Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc did you install the gasket only on the underside of the lid, only on the top of the barrel itself, or in both places?

+1 on the Lava Lok Self Stick Gasket. I also have 2 bricks covered with old socks to set on top.
    Last edited by Skip; May 5, 2020, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
      Alabama Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Skip do you find that the gasket alone does not quite seal the lid, needing extra weight or is this just extra insurance so to speak? fzxdoc has special shoes and Skip has special socks..........this is a special group!
      Last edited by Alabama Smoke; May 6, 2020, 12:24 PM.

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      The bricks are just insurance. They have become a habit but maybe not necessary?

There’s a headline for ya : fzxdoc Wacks Rims! Details following.

Comment

I used binder clips on my lids on my old Weber. Others on here have suggest using them also. You can find them in a office supply store or Walmart's office section,

Comment

• N227GB
        N227GB commented
        Editing a comment
        They also come in handy to hold temp probes.

Without going into details, I'm a +2 (i think) on the gasket install. Mine leaked, cleaned it and the gasket works like a charm. Good luck

Comment

I have dropped my lid. No leaks, but dented. Lucky I guess, but don't see problems as described. As it cooks, I am happy with all the results so far.
        I am not concerned with this cooker being able to hold a certain temp. It does fine for what I use it for. Also it is not old, only a year. But hell, for the price I wouldn't blink about getting another one if I had big problems.
        Last edited by Mark V; May 5, 2020, 06:03 PM.

Comment

I had the same issue from the beginning, solved with Nomex gasket and clamps here:

After 3 cooks, lid still not sealed even using Pam each time so I made some modifications to help thing along. 4 clamps, Lava Lok seal and high temp silicone to keep air out and sticky rubber pads to keep the lid untouched. Makes it airtight and easier for the Signals/Bellows combo to do it's thing. $40 well spent!

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
            Alabama Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            Mark Williams did you put the gasket under the lid edges but on the lid, on the top of the barrel lip, or in both places? I was watching someone install a gasket on a smoker (Not a PBC) and he had mounted the gasket on both surfaces........

fzxdoc did you have a special method of cleaning the top of the barrel and the underside of the lid prior to application? I am thinking of using a brillo pad and warm water. Do want to seal the lid, don't want to damage the metal for concern it will hinder getting a good seal.

Now, while you are doing all of your "whacking the rim" with your special shoes, exactly where are you doing the "whacking"? Is the lid mounded on the barrel? Where are you concentrating your "whacking"? Would this be on top of the apparent leak? Or just all around the top edge of the barrel? Looking for most efficient method.

Oh and since I don't have special shoes I am not concerned for me, but please do be careful of clicking your shoes together at the heals or you may end up in Kansas................or Oz!

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            I keep a pair of rubber soled loafers by the door to the deck and slip them on when BBQing or grilling. When I see smoke coming out of the edge of the lid, I just whack the rim area once or twice, and it seals right up. I don't need to use bricks or other heavy objects, so far. The LavaLok did a good job for at least 4 years, but sooner or later, due to it getting really hot from setting the lid ajar, I think it has lost its bounce in a couple of areas.

K.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Alabama Smoke Clean the inside arc of the lid's rim with Krud Kutter, rinse, wipe with alcohol and let dry. Apply LavaLok. Easy peasy. I didn't clean the barrel top edge at all. LavaLok only went inside the lid rim. The lid's weight will hold it nicely against the barrel edge.

And if I do happen to end up in Kansas, I'll visit Mr. Bones before coming back home.

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; May 9, 2020, 06:41 AM.

Alabama Smoke raised the questions that need to be asked of one fzxdoc . Where do you whack? With what do you whack? How do you whack? And, WHO knew you were whacking & When?
          After the indictment, Sanctuary! Sanctuary! Sanctuary!
          Last edited by FireMan; May 6, 2020, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Two bricks wrapped in foil.

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s not a whack!
            And you know it.

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Crack is whack and that's that! FireMan

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            You're sounding like Dr. Seuss, HawkerXP .

K.

WSM 22. There's that.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
            Alabama Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            My son has one of those Hulagn1971. It's a good smoker, but I prefer the PBC. BTW, my weber 18" kettle has developed a lid leak in several places. Yes, my fault as I have dropped that lid twice, once off the 2nd floor deck! Clamping worked at first but not now. I think I will buy enough gasket material to seal both the PBC and the Weber.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            You'll have plenty for both in one bag of LavaLok, I'm guessing, Alabama Smoke .

K.

Alabama Smoke , regarding kettle, how ‘bout whackin it to, Yup.

Comment

I think a blue ribbon panel should be assembled along with a special persecutor to get to the bottom & top of things to find out the depth of fzxdoc ‘s, Alabama Smoke & HawkerXP involvement in any wrongdoing. Whether there other co-horts involved remains to be seen. Heads are going to roll, except Meatheads head cuz he is our HOF head.
            This matter is of the gratest importance for the furthering of the integrity of the Wib community. This will be a long investigation. Yessir.

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Agweed. I could use the excitement.

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              I've been advised to not answer any questions about the presumed "whack job" without the assistance of my team. I've been instructed to only say what I've been saying for years.

"PBC, PBC, PBC,...…………"

• Alabama Smoke
              Alabama Smoke commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, now that I see that Kathryn needs the excitement, I'm betting it might be fun! Guess I will order the gasket and start whacking away! Woops, I guess I should do the whack job before I install the gasket. BTW, gasket on lid only, or both surfaces so that the gaskets touch each other when the lid in on?
              Last edited by Alabama Smoke; May 8, 2020, 07:28 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here