Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken dousing charcoal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hulagn1971
    replied
    I personally would not wait until the top coals in the chimney start to ash over. You are probably losing energy by that point. Wait till the coals are hot about halfway up the chimney then dump them in your cooker.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    Yes, you need HOT coals. That is one reason I run 400-ish with chicken in the Pit Barrel.

Leave a comment:

• Ricardo
    replied
    What cooker are you using? Is it a Barrel type?
    You may need to cook it indirectly for a while, specially in the beginning. I’m not an expert with chicken in a barrel, but when cooking chicken in a kettle, it’s good to have at least half of your grill space kept cool, or free from coals, to prevent burning and for proper heat management.

Leave a comment:

• jlo
    started a topic Chicken dousing charcoal

Chicken dousing charcoal

Ive always had a problem with chicken dousing the coals from all the fat and juices. Perhaps Im not getting the coals hot enough or is it an inevitability? Ive stopped monitoring temps but this is what I did in my last cook. Using weber briquettes. Lit in a chimney and waited until top briquettes are starting to ash. Dumped in the basket and closed the lid with rebar out for 10 minutes. Hung chicken halves on one rebar and left the other out. Chicken took about 1h15. Midway through I put sausage on the hanging grate. Was happy with the results but the charcoal under the chicken was smothered.

Does this still happen with 15-10-10?

Is it better to wait for the whole chimney to completely ash over?

Finally what happens when there is chicken on both sides of the basket?

Thx!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here