Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Tenderloin on PBJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Tenderloin on PBJ

Going to do a couple of Costco pork tenderloins this evening, about 1 to 1.25 lbs each. I can’t imagine these would take too long to get to 145°. Anyone had experience with these on the PBJ? I’m trying to figure out when to put on some sides so it’s all done about the same time.

I don’t have a PBC, but if I understand right the barrel temp runs about 275-300. If that’s the case, those tenderloins will get to 145 pretty fast. Somewhere between 45-60 minutes. I cook them on my Hasty-Bake at 275 and they get done in 60 minutes max

Comment

I have the regular PBC, not the Jr. My experience with pork tenderloin is that it will cook so quickly you might not get as much smoke as you would like to. Suggestions for getting enough smoke: consider putting meat on extra cold as cold meat attracts smoke much better than room temp meat. It might also cool the smoker temporarily causing the cook to slightly prolong. Consider using a stronger smoke wood such as hickory, rather than a light wood such as apple or cherry.

Also consider putting fewer coals into starter chimney than you would normally, say two thirds or so, possibly a few less than that which in my experience will cause the PBC to cook at a lower temp for the first hr or so, and that is all you will need anyway.

Finally, and it would be my last ditch effort to reduce temp, possibly put some foil around a rebar hole or two to attempt to keep temps below say 175-180. The last time I cooked tenderloin on my PBC I plugged the rebar holes to some extent (plug them too tightly and the fire will smolder and die) and managed to cook at about 250. They were done in approx 45 minutes.

Since then, I cook tenderloin on a weber kettle using a SnS which enables me to cook at or about 230. The PBC is an excellent cooker, enjoy. But it does not like to run at low temps.

Comment

I've smoked pork tenderloin (1.5 lb) on the PBC before, but I don't own a PBJunior. It took about 1 hour to reach 140° internal.

I started the fire with ½ full basket Kingsford original + 25 Briquets in chimney. Chimney burn was 10 minutes, poured coals, left lid off, rebars out 10 more minutes before adding the meat on the grate. 1 small hunk of hickory was added.

The average PBC temp was 280ish. This was a combination cook where I was also smoking some bacon.

Like Alabama Smoke , I prefer to smoke small pork tenderloins on the kettle with SnS. They also take an hour there, usually. I like this setup because it requires less charcoal.

Kathryn

Comment

Well, thanks for the info. I’d kind of come to the same conclusions before I cooked.

I used about 2/3 charcoal basket of Kingsford Professional with a chunk of pecan. Didn’t do anything to the PBJ to make it burn cooler or hotter. I hung them just to try that way. I used the split grate to try the jalapeño scalloped potatoes from the PBC blog. Really good.

i, too, have a good technique on the Weber. Two minutes a side (4) direct, then 15-20 minutes indirect. Always good, but I wanted to try the PBJ and potatoes. I’d do it this way again. Either way, pork tenderloin is one of my favorites to grill or smoke.

Comment

Sounds like you had a great plan that worked out well. How long did it take for the tenderloin to come up to what internal temp, Soonerpop .. Just curious.

I put tenderloins on a grate because I'm usually stuffing them, crosshatching them to encourage a marinade to stick a bit better, or slicing them into strips for BBQ pork satay with Blues Hog Smoky Mountain sauce added 45 min into the 1 hour cook. For rubs, I like Hank's Pork 'n Poultry rub or MMD.

Kathryn

Comment

Took about 40-45 minutes to 145°. They were cold to take more smoke as suggested by Alabama Smoke, rubbed one with John Henry’s Texas Pecan Rub, the other rubbed with Kosmo’s Q Honey Killer Bee and Honey Chipotle Killer Bee. They were good with plenty of leftovers. Made some nachos last night.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the additional information, Soonerpop.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here