Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second PBC Pork Butt failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's BBQ, some days it's straight forward and some days it's Stall City. BUT gotta keep at it.
    You'll have to find other ways of lighting YOUR PBC that works for you. Gotta mess with the bottom vent, try different coals etc. Become one with the PBC.

Comment

So what was the final result here? Finished in the oven? Taste? Texture? I am not a PBC'er, I am a WSMer. Every larger hunk I have cooked has had 2 stalls, and a 10*F drop in temp has not been unusual for me during the stalls.

Comment

Sorry I never responded. I was frustrated with the results and have had another failure with a 7 pound. The ends in the thickest part of the latest one were over 160 but the middle which was actually thinner because it was almost in half would not get up to temp. I used a third hook in the middle to make sur it would nt come apart. When I pulled it when most of it was at 200, the meat did not pull apart as easy as it should and there were sections that took quite an effort to pull. I don't understand how such a simple process can become so difficult. Noah had previously told me that 1 out of 100 doesn't work the same for whatever reason even though they are all made the same.

Comment

I have a different cooker (BGE), and I usually cook 10# butts (about 5" thick) @ 225-250 for 12 hours + to reach 200 internal meat temperature. I am using lump charcoal, but It would seem to me that charcoal briquettes should work fine on your cooker. You would do well to heed the advise above to monitor the grill temperature to know what is really going on.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here