Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to smoking

Been reading and decided to get a pbc came in today. First cook going to be Tommorrow two racks of ribs I’m excited. Read the sticky post any other advise.
    Attached Files

Congratulations on the new smoker and welcome! This is a great place to learn, im sure someone that has a pbc will be along soon with some tips, many have them here as it is a great cooker.

Comment

Welcome and as Mr. Bones would say: Keep calm and smoke on!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        I do say that, don't I ???

Perhaps a character flaw, a social whatchyacallit, one them 'Foe Paws' thingies.), mebbe?

I jus might haveta work on not doin that....

Or. Not.
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 16, 2020, 10:10 PM.

The advice I give anyone that asks for it is that you have to know your temps to get this figured out....so get yourself a good ambient and meat thermometer(s) and start cooking.

Welcome to the pit - this will be the best tool you have.

Comment

Ok, nice pick. Ribs are great on the PBC. Don't worry about the temp. Start like it says in the PBC channel and let it go. I do 3 racks all the time. Figure around 3 or so hours. Since its new it will leak around the lid. Try a couple of bricks on the lid if you want. You need to build a nice layer of gunk. You know when ribs are done? Look for the meat pulling back from the end of the bones. I also use a toothpick to probe between the bones, goes in nice and easy, your done. Enjoy and relax. I also like to rotate the racks about every hour. There are spots that will be hotter in the barrel. PBC, PBC, PBC.............!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from south Texas!

Comment

Welcome from Maryland. Great advice above. Get a digital quick read thermometer and you are on your way to some great food.

Comment

Welcome from SC!

Comment

Originally posted by HawkerXP View Post
                Ok, nice pick. Ribs are great on the PBC. Don't worry about the temp. Start like it says in the PBC channel and let it go. I do 3 racks all the time. Figure around 3 or so hours. Since its new it will leak around the lid. Try a couple of bricks on the lid if you want. You need to build a nice layer of gunk. You know when ribs are done? Look for the meat pulling back from the end of the bones. I also use a toothpick to probe between the bones, goes in nice and easy, your done. Enjoy and relax. I also like to rotate the racks about every hour. There are spots that will be hotter in the barrel. PBC, PBC, PBC.............!
                This^^^

Don't worry about the temps in the barrel. I stopped putting a probe in the barrel when doing ribs a while ago. Let the PBC do its thing.

Here's the link to the sticky on lighting procedures:

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
                  Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Very nice cooker ya got there, can't wait to see some yer cooks!

My Advice? In addition to th excellent advice already offered, above:

Be patient...there's always a learnin curve associated with any new gear.

Ask questions, they's some Really Talented Folks here, always willin to help each other out. (I done asked up mosta th Stoopid Questions! , nobody's gonna yike at ya fer askin... )

I've cooked fer a very, very long time, an I'm here to tell ya: sometimes, failures happen; sometimes my fault, sometimes not...

Learn from em, an don't let em discourage ya...it's all part of anything ya do.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome to The Pitmaster Club! Thanks for giving us a try with the Free Trial membership and for introducing yourself. We hope you’ll decide to stick around

My biggest piece of advice is don't let those ribs break apart and fall into the coals, they'll cook much quicker on the PBC. I think it's a rite of passage with PBCers, been there myself, but best to not do it. If you're familiar with smoking ribs and when they're done then you'll be better suited to prevent the big fall!

Since you’re new here, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
                      1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your username in the top-right, then User Settings, then the Account tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us yourself since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor if you’re a paying member. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you, just click here to fill out an email change request.
                      2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important so you can receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly "Great Giveaway" Monthly Sweepstakes winner, which is open to all USA members. (Paid members get automatic monthly entry, whereas Free Trial members or general public must enter manually.) We’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Congrats on the new pit barrel. I was considering one (and still am). I went kamodo but also cook my ribs vertically.

The cool factor of your grill can't be overstated; looking forward to hearing about your results!

Comment

Thanks for all the reply’s very welcoming guys. So got a question really don’t want to drop my first cook I’m the coals. I’m going to double hook but should I just do them side by side or what. Only thing I’m worried about is them falling off

Comment

• HawkerXP
                            HawkerXP commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Double hook is the way to go.

Read the primer,,,,crack a beer ,,,,rub ur ribs,,,,Fire up tha basket,,,,
                          drop it in, hang ur ribs and start checking in about 3 hours and start pay in’ attention

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here