Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First PBC Chuck Roast Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First PBC Chuck Roast Today

I have had moderate success with Brisket on the PBC, as evidenced by a nice thread last weekend. Today I am trying my first Prime Chuck Roast, a 4.5lber, dry brined 24 hours. Sounds like the best approach is to wrap after 160, and to cook well above 200, with some resting (my goal is to pull the meat). I am going to use a little bit of beef broth for the wrap. I will double hook as well. Any other quick tidbits of advice, fire away. I will post a few pictures. Thank you in advance, and I hope everyone is well.
    Attached Files

I wrap when bark is set, not at temp. Now I don't use a PBC, and I cook at 225°, but it is usually around 175• that they get the crutch. I also inject, but skip the liquid in the wrap. For pulling, 208° has never failed me, especially with a long hold.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
      Alabama Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      I have sometimes had problems knowing when the bark is set, perhaps I have wrapped to soon to often. Could you please elaborate as to how to know when the bark is set other than simple looks?

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Alabama Smoke run your fingers across it. If it wipes away or off, or if its mushy and soft, it's not set.

I smoke chuck roasts in my PBC all the time. You may be happier if you wait until 170-180° to wrap if you're interested in having a nice tasty bark, epope011 . It makes a delicious texture and taste addition to the pulled beef. As you say, be sure to double serial hook. And take up to 207° or so if you want to pull it, 204° or so if you want to slice.

You may want to look at the initial 2 posts on this topic for a good how-to from our first Pit Boss, a really knowledgeable guy and entreprener--he and Huskee designed the SnS .

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...oker#post54754

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; April 10, 2020, 09:01 AM.

Comment

fzxdoc I read that thread and consider it a complete education on chuck roast! I will hold on wrapping a bit. So the difference between 204 and 207 will determine slice versus pull? Is "chop" in between those numbers termperature wise? Update, meat at 143 degrees.
      Attached Files

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking pretty doggone good.

Looks great, epope011 ! Yes, anywhere in the low 200s seems to be good, according to many here, for slicing. For tender pulling, 207 is a magic number for the chuckies I've done. I don't slice smoked chuck.

At 143° where you are now, Mr. Chuckie will settle in for a long stall unless you goose the PBC's temp a bit after an hour or so in the stall. That's what I do to power through the stall, but it's not necessary. You could just let it ride. A lot of folks take that approach instead.

Interesting how only a few degrees makes a difference. I remember trying to pull my first chuckie at 203° and it was real work. Letting it stay in the barrel until 207° made a huge difference. Chopped--well, pulled at 207° then chopped works well for me, but if you want more chunks in your chopped meat, pull it earlier. You'll know by your next chuckie cook what works best for you and your PBC.

Have fun with that cook. You're well on your way to some really tasty eating.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; April 10, 2020, 01:42 PM.

Comment

fzxdoc Yep,I I am way behind with low temps on this windy cold day in Western PA. I did goose the temps and wrap early, at 155. Unfortunate, but looks awesome. Shooting for 207 . . . Assuming I can get we done for 730pm dinner! Probably not but we'll see.
        Attached Files

Comment

I keep it medium rare (134°) when slicing.

Comment

Got 25min of rest, not quite enough. But I got er to 207 and it was lovely. Dare I say that Chuck Roast was a mix of pork butt and brisket? At least it tasted that way to me. Texture and moisture of pork shoulder, some but not nearly the flavor of brisket. Thanks all.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by epope011; April 11, 2020, 08:02 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              That looks perfect. Congratulations on such a nice cook.

Kathryn

• Greygoose
              Greygoose commented
              Editing a comment
              I think you done reallll good

I actually prefer chuck roast to brisket. Not as cantankerous to smoke for the investment. And the chuckies I've done have been equally as flavorful, or more because of the fat content, as brisket. To each her/his own.

What are you going to do with the leftovers, epope011 ?

Kathryn

Comment

• hogdog6
              hogdog6 commented
              Editing a comment
              Couldn't agree more.

• N227GB
              N227GB commented
              Editing a comment
              Same here! Chuckies come out so well in the PBC I'll never go back to brisket.

fzxdoc I need some left over recos! Tacos or chili or both? I think I agree with you as Chuck Roast is less cantankerous - great word - than brisket.

Comment

I absolutely love Malcolm Reed's Smoked Chuck Roast Chili. It's the bomb.

https://howtobbqright.com/2017/11/02...-chili-recipe/

Philly steak sandwiches, tacos or loaded nachos, meat in a marinara sauce for spaghetti or lasagna, or, if you're like me, you'll just keep getting your ears frostbit as you dive into the fridge to grab another chunk or two for a meat-a-licious snack until it's all gone.

Kathryn

Comment

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                Now that I have done some successful chuck, I think I’ll be doing less brisket and more chuck. We really like it.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here