Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork butt or chuck roast falling off the hooks? I've got a cure for that....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork butt or chuck roast falling off the hooks? I've got a cure for that....

The cure requires the PBC skewers. Just push the skewer through the chuck or butt lengthwise so the bottom is resting on the bar. Then hook and hang. The T-bar at the bottom prevents the meat from falling into the fire. I didn't think to take pics before hanging the chuck and butt I put in earlier today. Maybe when they are done.....

I was tempted to do this on the last pork butt I did but opted to just put it on the grate instead. I assume you tie the roast. Do you hang it all the way, or still move it to the grate towards the end?

Comment

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      I did not truss the chuck. At one point the sides of both cuts that were facing toward the outside hadn't developed bark yet but the insides had, so I rotated them and when they had full bark and I was going to wrap and go to the grate they were done. About 5 hours total before cambro and the chuck (haven't pulled the pork yet) was tender and moist.

Neat. I loved using those silicone bands because they tightened up as the meat shrunk. Can't say the same thing for the butcher's twine.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      You turned me on to those silicone bands a few years ago. I love 'em. Thanks again.

K.

I use the same technique when I cook pork belly. Suppose you could use two skewers in the same roast, then offset the t-bar ends to give it an even more stable base.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here