Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning the inside of the barrel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning the inside of the barrel?

So, I finished a cook on the late side, coals still burning in the barrel. Left the lid on as it looked like rain and waited for them to burn out. Well, it started raining and I got lazy and left the PBC overnight.

In the morning, went to go clean everything up and forgot that the lid has a lip that will collect water. Sure enough, pull the lid off and dump a good pint of rain water into the charcoal basket full of ash! I dumped it all out but now I've got caked on muck all over the inside of the barrel.

Leave it? Clean it? How?

(Hope everyone is keeping safe and healthy!)

Same thing happened too me a couple of years ago. If I recollect, I used a trowel to scoop and dispose of as much as I could, turned the barrel upside down and gave the bottom a good couple of thumps. I then partially loaded the basket with charcoal and let it burn hot to dry everything out and disposed of the new collection of as he when cool. I've had a slight layer of rust on the bottom since.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
      Alabama Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Regarding your lite layer of rust on bottom.....might make a difference whether inside or outside, not sure which you have, but I wonder if using some high temp grill paint might assist with rust problem, or better yet see if you can find some high temp Rustoleum (sp?) type paint. If inside barrel............not sure. No food on bottom but possible fumes?? Maybe do a no food burn afterwards before cooking again?

Never cleaned other than to scrape flakes that might deposit themselves on food.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here