Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork butt stall question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork butt stall question

Trying to determine the start of the stall, end is obvious to me but not the start. 162-164? Opinions?
    Attached Files

In my experience the stall generally runs from 160-180, but every piece of meat can behave differently even to the point of having two stalls. In general at 225 from refrigerator to 160 is 3 hours, unwrapped 160 to 180 is 6 hours, and 180 to 200 is three hours for a total of 12 hours. Wrapping during the stall can cut the time in half. The Pork Butt is very forgiving, so relax
    Last edited by LA Pork Butt; March 27, 2020, 03:49 PM.

Comment

About 145-150f where the stall starts . Bang your pit temp up to 300+ F and forget about the stall.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Ahumadora knows his stuff, and you can't argue with the results, if I was going to switch to hit and fast, I would become a disciple of his. I agree with his temp as for when the stall happens, but I prefer to ride it out at 225°.

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        I've got a butt on the Keg now, and will aim for 300 depending on how moody the smoker is and how cold it is outside.
        Temp ran away on me to 384 at first but I have damped it down to 306 now and will trying to stabilize.
        Still wrap at 180 to finish, like Rocinante says when the natives get restless get it done or the cook ends up in the soup pot.

What happened at 171, wrap or crank up the pit temp?

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Or did it break the stall on its own?

• Mark Williams
        Mark Williams commented
        Editing a comment
        Wrapped in butcher paper and increased temp to 275

I smoked a butt that was a little over 9lbs last week. At about 3hrs in at around the mid 150's it stalled. After 3 hrs, I wrapped it with b paper for the duration of the cook, total 13 hrs. I usually wrap earlier into the stall, I know a much debated topic, but for me I just think it comes out more moist. I try not to crank the heat up any, unless the family gets restless dinner.
      Last edited by Rocinante; March 28, 2020, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here