Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone smoking some corned beef brisket this St. Patrick's Day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone smoking some corned beef brisket this St. Patrick's Day?

It came out decent the last time I grabbed one from the store, water boarded/bathed it with extreme prejudice a few times to mellow out the salt and smoked it. Curious what works best for the rub? So far I've just done black pepper, garlic, onion powder?

I use Meathead’s pastrami rub. Got some going right now. Pic right before wrapping in paper.
    Pastrami depends heavily on the spice blend applied to the cured corned beef. But the distinctive combination of coriander, black pepper, and other spices works wonders on goose or duck breast, on pork belly, on beef short ribs to name a few options. After much research and trial and error, here's my approximation of Katz's pastrami rub recipe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C9EFC47A-1FDC-4A8B-9DCB-44A16321C0D7.jpeg
Views:	269
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	815630

Comment

I'll probably do some next week.

Comment

Lots of pre cured corned beef available at stores this week , even when the rest of the meat case is cleaned out. Definitely smoking some.

Comment

I did a home cured and smoked corned beef and cabbage yesterday with mixed results. It was quite tasty but I think next time I'll finish cook the cabbage, carrots, potatoes separately as smoke infused cabbage was a bit to odd for my taste.
          Attached Files

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            I followed the recipe last week from Heygrillhey.com and smoked the corned beef for 3 hours, then added it to a dutch oven with the cabbage, carrots and onions, with 3 cups of beef broth. It was really good, but I didn’t smoke the cabbage.

Local supermarket was picked clean of all the "fresh" meat owing to the recently announced closure of the local schools. guess the homebound families don’t appreciate a corned brisket point as there were still a few prebrined packages points today on sale, so I picked up two more. They will eventually be de-salinated, pastrami rubbed and smoked in the PBC just as I did last week.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AA706E8E-E19B-4E98-A407-899DF5D36641.jpeg
Views:	228
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	815665

Comment

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep. I may have to go back for more. Someone has to eat them. :-)

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah I have a couple of flats in the fridge. I’ve not found points in my stores, but like you say, it’s one of the few meats left in the stores.

have one rubbed and open air in my aging fridge right now. Will smoke in Paddy day.

Comment

I am in process of brining my homemade corned beef, however, I’m not sure when I’ll do the Corned Beef And Cabbage meal. Haven’t been able to get cabbage and potatos at the grocery store. Going to try again tomorrow, may try the local co-op as well so I can make the family the meal on Tuesday.

also have the other portion of the brisket desalinating so I can rub it down with pastrami rub for a few day before I smoke it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here