Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC Fire Going Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John & Kathryn appear to be on the right track. I am in the middle of a rib cook on the PBC now and it has been steady-eddy for 3 hrs. This cook I tried opening the bottom vent closer to 1/2 open instead of 1/4 ( I am at sea level). The difference is night&day from all previous cooks I have had. After dumping the lit coals in the basket, I only left the lid off for about 5-7 minutes while I prepped the ribs and thermometer probe. After that I dropped the rebar in and hung the ribs and haven't touched it. It has been hanging around 280-295 degrees.

Comment

Yay, Tim E! Success is sweet, isn't it?!!

Congrats.

Kathryn

Comment

• Tim E
        Tim E commented
        Editing a comment
        So awesome to get it figured out! It was driving me crazy. Thanks for all of the help!

Hmmm............if I double that same amount of opening, then you don't think it would be even half open. Looking at from inside the barrell looks like 1/4. I'll take it further next time for sure and I'm going to use the lighter fluid method of starting. A rectangular vent would be easier to see 1/4 open...I think, but that's a mute point.

Comment

For what it's worth Chuck , attached is a picture of where I wound up setting my bottom vent. Also,if you measure straight across from arc to Arc my opening is 1 inch
        Attached Files

Comment

• Chuck
          Chuck commented
          Editing a comment
          I find it strange that at sea level it needs to be half open for a satisfactory cook, that's double the volume of air recommended by the PBC folks. My PBC definitely was behaving yesterday like it was not getting enough air, so I'm going to try to set it a 1/3 open when looking at the hole from inside the barrel, would rather open up just incrementally than a bunch at once. The only variables I see to tool around with that affect temperature over time in such an enclosed environment as the PBC are: 1) how the vent is manipulated , 2) how the charcoal is lit, 3) how the coals may be preheated or not.......I'm sure I'm missing something, but I'll figure it out.

In my view Noah Glanville never appears to concern himself with the actual cooking temperature of the unit as we do here. When viewing the demonstration videos, this is clearly evident.

Glad it is working for you, not sure what the issue is but several folks seem to have it. They really need to put some notches on there or something, because 1/4 isn't very accurate when the thing really doesn't close all the way.

Comment

I agree with John and Kathryn... a little more air won't hurt, you could be starving it a little...

just don't aim your leaf blower into the bottom vent

Comment

​Chuck and Tim E -- I think Noah really wants the PBC portrayed as hands-off cooker, I don't know if that is good marketing or not... probably good.

BUT the difference here in this forum is... we like to mess around with things. People who frequent this forum don't really want hands off... we want to play around with everything about BBQing!

The nice thing about the Webers and the PBC is, if we are too busy to dink around with things... those cookers usually do just fine without intervention.

Comment

Originally posted by PackWolf View Post
              Was your original PBC first generation and your the current one the newer version? I have wondered if there would be any differences with the higher gauge metal and the porcelain coating as opposed to powder coat. Maybe it takes longer to get the thicker metal to a stable temp... or just more thermal energy to hold it throughout?
              No PackWolf , my two PBCs were first generation. I had only used the first one for a month when the lid edge started rusting, so I contacted Noah and they sent me out a whole new PBC with labels for me to ship back the first one for free. It was amazing customer service. It took a while to get the second one, so I just kept on cooking with the first one until the replacement arrived.

Maybe an original PBC owner with a new PBC can answer your question. Sorry I can't. I'd like to have one of those new PBCs just because they're so pretty!

Kathryn

Comment

• Drbearsec
                Drbearsec commented
                Editing a comment
                Is the only diff the barrel? Cause they sell the barrels for $150 on the site

I cook with the old and new PBCs. They're pretty much the same. I don't notice a measurable difference.

Comment

I'm at sea level and I cook with my vent open a little LESS than what is recommended.

I'll fill the basket and take out my 40 briquettes as instructed, and then I use a chimney to get them roaring hot and ashed all over while I do the final preparations on my meat. I often add a chunk of wood to the center of the basket and I set it down on some double layered tinfoil in the PBC for easy cleanup.

I dump the coals and spread them around a bit with the rebar and then I add my meat and Immediately close the lid. My PBC runs steady at 225-230 and if it drops below 220 I crack the lid a centimeter until I'm at 250. From there it drops and hangs at 225-230 again. I may crack the lid 2-3 times per cook, but that is all that has been required.

Perhaps give it a try?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here