Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork butt...from hooks to rack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork butt...from hooks to rack?

I am doing my first bone in pork butt (5.5#) tomorrow after testing the waters with chicken, meatloaf, and pork belly. The butt is currently sitting in the fridge doing its dry brine magic and I am planning on leaving it unwrapped during the stall and just cracking the lid to power through it. Should I plan on putting it on the rack at some point? I wasn't sure if the bone in will help hold it together or if I should throw it on the rack at some point so I doesn't start to pull off of the hooks.

Most go to the rack at around 180 internal for me. I have done a few all the way on the hooks. I like to hang so I can point the thinner part of the butt down

Comment

I dropped more than I'd like, whenever I notice i'm in the stall, which is usually 160 for me, I go to the grates. I am also now in the habit of flipping about an hour after because my bark seems to want to finish forming around the grate.
      With the size you mention I wouldn't be scared of waiting til 180 as Jerod says.

Comment

Thanks guys. I moved the butt to the rack at 180 and let it finish up there. The meat seemed to peel away from the ends of the bone during the 24 hour dry brine so I tied the meat just to be safe. My fiance made plans for us to go over to a friends house and the meat wasn't quite done by the time we needed to leave so I threw it in my first faux cambro and finished the last 7 degrees in his oven. It was awesome, I wish I had been able to finish it in the smoker but I was very pleased with the results.

Comment

Good to hear, the tough thing about smoking is the timing, the cambro will let you start a couple hours earlier next time.

Comment

I hate timing cooks. I think pressure plays with us unknowingly and alters the dynamic equilibrium we have b/n evaporation and condensation before the stall. Grrrrrrrrr

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here