Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me convince myself to bring my PBC with me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me convince myself to bring my PBC with me

Has anybody moved with their cookers before? How did it go? I'm moving from AZ to MN the first week in March and my 26" kettle has its ticket punched but I'm going back and forth on the PBC. I figured I'd look to some friends to help me convince myself that it won't be a big deal to bring it along.

Easy. Pack your clothes into it and use it as a wardrobe mover. Not only will you save on packing supplies, you'll smell great for months after!

Comment

You'd leave it behind? MONSTER! Abandoned PBCs end up in shelters next to... propane smokers! Do you want that for yours? Do the right thing... take it with you...

OK more seriously... why not take it? It's not THAT big and presumably you will be driving up with some stuff anyway.

Comment

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        "Honey, if we leave the PBC we'll just need to buy one when we get settled up there."

Honestly, how much can it add? Even if it's exorbitant for the space, like $50... that just can't be much compared to the overall cost of moving.
        Last edited by rickgregory; January 31, 2020, 12:15 PM.

• jhapka
        jhapka commented
        Editing a comment
        Bingo

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        jhapka there is surely some stuff you can pack inside the PBC to save space. That's the angle I would try, at least.

Secure the lid with a bungee cord and make sure nothing can knock against the top to put it out of alignment and keeping it from sealing the way it should.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Welcome back. Haven't seen you for awhile. 5 more posts and you'll be there! 227

• N227GB
        N227GB commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL, thanks!

Several of us that already live in MN have a PBC so yours would already have a Friend here. Friends are nice to have, especially Friends in The Pit. I keep having terrible visions of a PBC rusting away in extreme hot sun somewhere in AZ as rickgregory said. Also, you might be interested in this event held April 11,2020. Welcome to Minnesota jhapka !!!
      I thought I would post this if anyone in the St Paul Minnesota area is interested in attending. I went last year and it was a very good day long class IMO. Great

Comment

• jhapka
        jhapka commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the heads up! I might have to check that out. Thanks for the welcome, I'm happy to be returning. I lived in MN my whole life except for the last 5 years when school and work pulled me away. I'm ready to get back.

I’d consider rehoming it, maybe for some cash, and buying a new one at destination. But only if moving it is expensive or bumps you to a bigger truck.

Comment

You know they've raised the price at the first of the year. Take it with you. PBC, pbc…...18.5" Classic Pit Barrel Cooker - Pit Barrel Cooker
        $349.99
        Last edited by HawkerXP; January 31, 2020, 12:59 PM.

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          I believe $50

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          jhapka Another thread brought out the new ones are made in China, not in the US.

• jhapka
          jhapka commented
          Editing a comment
          ComfortablyNumb the extra $50 gives me more pause than the country of manufacture but that's interesting news

So I think there's some other considerations here. How often do you use the PBC? If it's twice a summer... sell it. But if it's a few times a month, then you want to keep it, right?

Comment

• jhapka
          jhapka commented
          Editing a comment
          I haven't grilled anything since October because I quit to focus on career goals (hence the move). Before that I was hanging chickens once a week so I'm pretty sure I'll end up bringing it. Plus I remember reading it's one of the better cookers in cold weather which didn't matter in Phoenix but will matter in MN.

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Just bring it. While I get the whole "happy wife, happy life" mantra, you need to be happy too and as I said above, there's just no way that the expense of moving this is more than a drop in the bucket of your overall moving costs.

I suspect that if I could buy your PBC for whatever it costs to ship it to Minnesota, I would do so in an instant. Seems like money well spent.

Comment

I've moved with cookers in tow from apartment to house, to another state and back again. I would consider them just like anything else that is in the house. Unless you want a new PBC for $350, I doubt that little 18" barrel will fill up the moving truck to overflowing. And as others said, you could probably cram it full of garage or yard stuff, and tape the lid on with some duct tape.

Last time I moved was 24 years ago though, and I only had 1 or 2 cookers at that time, versus 4-5 right now.
          Last edited by jfmorris; January 31, 2020, 02:21 PM.

Comment

• Bobmcgahan
            Bobmcgahan commented
            Editing a comment
            4-5 cookers? Goals.

• Duanessmokedmeats
            Duanessmokedmeats commented
            Editing a comment
            I have 3 so far. A goal to shoot for...

Well, welcome to MN! If you don't mind me asking......where in MN are you moving too?

You can easily bring that with you. I take mine places all the time. They are very portable and easy to transport.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3424.jpeg
Views:	237
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	798226

Comment

• jhapka
            jhapka commented
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker I'm from Warren by Thief River Falls and Crookston originally. I am moving to Grand Rapids.
            Last edited by jhapka; January 31, 2020, 04:15 PM.

you wouldn't leave your dog behind would you ?
          kinda the same but different !

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, the stuff the PBC creates smells much better!

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL, good point!

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            And it could be strapped to the roof of the car like Romney did his dog, but with less flak!

If you don’t want to take it with, maybe you can detour through TN and drop it off ay my house

Comment

Forget the PBC—bring gallons of mosquito repellant! ;<}

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds like a bitter Ol’ coot to me! 🕶

• Willy
              Willy commented
              Editing a comment
              FireMan I’ ‘fess up to the old coot part, but surely you mean "bitten", not "bitter"? Lol.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              It's no that bad. LOL

It travels really well - I've taken it up and down California with no problems. Throw everything inside, plus any extra bbq hardware, charcoal, etc, put the lid on, bungee it closed and strap it tight with some winch straps and you are good to go.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here