Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest PBC Cook! And some questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest PBC Cook! And some questions?

My PBC has been an absolute blast since I have gotten it. Doesnt require constant attention and when paired with the fireboard gives you the flexibility to KIND OF set it and forget it.

For the first 4ish hours the PBC holds temp very nicely and then it will slowly starts to dip and need the occasionaly lid crack to keep temps up. Is this a similar experience for everyone else?

Also about the 7-8 hour mark I need to add more briquettes, is this also similar to others experience?

My lid has not leaked since Day 1 which is a win!

This was this weekends cook! Everything came out phenomenal. Chuck - Big Bad Beef rub and light injection, Whole Chicken - Weber Kick N Chicken and Ribs with Memphis dust.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200126_190239_386.jpg Views:	11 Size:	1.80 MB ID:	797028
    And my best bud...making sure all is secure
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_y3yc83.jpg Views:	10 Size:	370.3 KB ID:	797029

And of course the work horse....

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200126_111316.jpg Views:	10 Size:	2.88 MB ID:	797030 Cheers!!
    Last edited by Voodoo628; January 28, 2020, 11:35 AM.

What meat causes a dip in temps? Drippings and/or the stall will cause a dip. Standard KBB gives me about 7-8 hours.

Comment

• Voodoo628
      Voodoo628 commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod Broussard That is making a lot of sense now that we are talking about it. My ambient starts to dip when meats go into the stall looking at my fireboard charts. Didn't even think about that.

Anyone ever run a fireboard fan or similar set up to combat that? That is just my curiosity asking now LOL. I didn't buy the PBC for hands free cooking it does a great job of being a low maintenance smoker as is.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Voodoo628 If I load it down (3 butts, 4-5 briskets) and need to sleep, I use B & B briquets since they give about double the burn time of KBB, and I see what temp it settles at. I'll then set my Auber fan just below that temp so that when the stall hits and temperatures start to drop, the fan kicks in to keep things chugging along.

• Voodoo628
      Voodoo628 commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod Broussard Thank you for all the insight and info! I appreciate it.

Great cook - looks delicious! I have one of the first PBC's with the flat powder coat, made in CO. I've noticed mine runs more consistently over 7 hours than newer ones purchased by my sons. I almost never crack the lid or see temps fall drastically. The lids on the newer ones don't fit as tight as mine. I've wondered if the newer design has some differences that cause the symptoms you're having.

Comment

Jerod Broussard pretty much hit the nail on the head.

FWIW, (to answer one of your questions to Jerod) many folks here have attached a Fireboard driver to a Fireboard fan or Pit Viper fan. I'm one of them. There are several topics that discuss this. Here are a few:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...rol-on-the-pbc

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...an-w-fireboard

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...lower-on-a-pbc

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-barrel-cooker

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...istance-needed

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...an-mod-for-pbc

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...n-on-their-pbc

HTH,

Kathryn

Comment

Voodoo628 Ask fzxdoc for a summary of her 800,000 page Word document entitled, "PBC, A Barrel of Fun and Love.....and typing "

Comment

I have noticed this as well. My PBCs will require some tending about 4 hours. I think this is mostly due to the fact the some of the coals that are soak in grease are all that is left in the basket.

I have had to add some coals from time to time, but I have not done a long cook in my PBC for a while. It is pretty much just a dedicated rib machine, which rarely goes past 4 hours. I am a fan of the lid crack, but what I actually do is put some foil under the seam. The lid still seals a bit but not too much.This allows for a gradual temp climb. I find that if I crack the lid to a visible amount, that fire gets out of control quickly.

I have never hooked my FireBoard up to my PBC, so I really am no help there.

Comment

Max I cook on the PBC is six hours (which is more than enough time for ribs, chicken, and chuck roast). Any longer and it goes on the Primo.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
              I am a fan of the lid crack, but what I actually do is put some foil under the seam. The lid still seals a bit but not too much.This allows for a gradual temp climb. I find that if I crack the lid to a visible amount, that fire gets out of control quickly.
              I do the same thing with a piece of foil folded into several-layered strip. I usually use 2 of them on opposite edges of the barrel lip. It lets just enough air in to keep the temps up if/when they want to start to fall.

That said, my PBC is, like Bobmcgahan 's one of the original powder-coated kind and for long cooks can hold a pretty steady temp for 6 or more hours in a long cook. Once I open the lid, though, to crutch the meat, then I can have a harder time keeping the temp as rock steady. That's when I use the multi-layered foil strips.

Kathryn

Comment

Thanks for all the good info in here folks!

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thats why we are here!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here