Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hanging Whole fish in PBC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hanging Whole fish in PBC?

Has anyone smoked a whole salmon in the PBC? I have been considering getting a whole fish and hanging it from the hooks under the gills.

Apologies if I missed something on this elsewhere on the site. I did a brief search.

I'm not certain that you wouldn't lose your salmon to the bbq gods as the fish tenderizes during the cook and drops off the hook.

It should be pretty easy to hang a fish basket from the hooks, though. I do it with a sausage basket all the time.

Kathryn

Comment

I would try the basket as Kathryn has suggested. They are sold with long handles, cut off excess and bend to hang on rebar. Nate has done this to his baskets.

Comment

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup that has worked for poultry pieces, sausage, etc... however in full disclosure I have not done it with fish... but those baskets work well... I put a sausage or something at the hinged portion (which will hang closest to the fire) as a bit of protection... I think fzxdoc taught me about the sacrificial sausage.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Nate , I always call dibs on that one sacrificial sausage in the batch. It eats good.

Kathryn

I often do Salmon on the grate. Comes out really good.

Comment

No chance I would hang it. Throw it on the grate and let it rip!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here