Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC Charcoal basket levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC Charcoal basket levels

I am sure this has been discussed before and I missed it, I apologize if that's the case. I know Noah always recommends filling the basket level for every cook. I am wondering if anyone has tinkered with less quantity for smaller cooks. The full basket appears to last 6-8 hours. If I am just going to cook some halved chickens that are only going to take 1-1.5 hours, I would sure love to save the charcoal. Anyone have thoughts or experiences with this?

That will be a question for Ernest

Hey Ernest your phone is ringing

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      wrong number! LOL

Hi Tim E

You could probably start a chimney of 20-30 briquettes of Kingsford Original for something like a chicken or two, and they would provide plenty of heat for that time frame.

Comment

After the first rib cook, I haven't filled it up again for ribs.

Comment

Not necessary. I do one compact chimney for a chicken.

Comment

I do about a half a basket for ribs, and a quarter basket for chicken. Much like what Ernest has pictured above. Yeah a full basket for one chicken is a waste.

Comment

Thank you for the comments all. What you are saying makes alot more sense!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Half-full Bskt.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	79083 I use a half-basket like this; it keeps the burn dynamics the same as for a full basket. I really don't know if it makes a big difference. The other approach is to just snuff out the coals when you are done and reuse them. Take out the bars, cover the holes (I use corks, some use magnets), and close the lower vent completely with a piece of Al or even foil if you don't have my sliding damper.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice work Doc. Easy, clean, effective. What else do you need?

• Tim E
                Tim E commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow, pretty sure I am doing this. Thanks Doc!

• oldsteve
                oldsteve commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the great idea Doc! I ran out and checked if the charcoal holders that came with my Weber Performer would work. Perfect fit!!!

I snuff out the coals and use them in my smokey joe when I'm just cooking chickens... but I do like the half basket!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here