Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Problems

Hi all!

I've got a 7 lb and change brisket on the PBC. Put it on around 05:15 and it's just about to hit 205.

My issue is the bark is...sub par for my tastes. It's my first brisket so I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing, though I did read all the brisket posts.

I believe Jarod had mentioned cooking to bark...to clarify does that mean I can let it go a little longer until I get my desired bark level? At what point to I just have to pull it?

1. Have you hung it the whole time? I always go to the grate after 5.5-6 hours.

2. I have taken to 210, however, at 205, you would need some serious direct heat to get some bark.

May want to pull and rest, and just try to bark before serving.

Where are you taking that temp???

Comment

No I didn't hang it at all. One of the threads in here suggested grating the whole time and the finished product looked excellent.

Pulling and resting now.

Comment

Musta had it fat cap down. The top of that flat can be a punk to get barked.

You cooking in a torrential downpour??

Comment

I did have it fat cap down, flipped it after 4 hours. I'm kinda, like I said, flying a little blind. It's resting now after 6 and change hours on the PBC. The bark, the bark actually looks pretty okay

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            NOT bad at all. You got some coarse black pepper on that thing?

I just ran a weed eater in between the rain. We are soaked. All the water can't soak into the ground before we get another down pour.

No torrential downpour, it's actually a really excellent day in the PNW. 68, slight breeze.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Same weather here, beautiful!

The final result was quite good. Thanks for the tips Jarod!

Comment

Holy Cow, that second pic is 2 DIE FER!!!!!

Comment

Looks awesome. Jerod is the man when it comes to BRIZ. He walked me through my first one and it came out great. Looks like yours came out amazing as well. Nice work brother!!!

Comment

Your brisket looks great! I don't care about bark on brisket, so after exposing it to heavy smoke for 2 hours, I finish it wrapped tightly in foil in the oven. But I often have guests who do like bark. For them, I take the brisket out of the foil at 180-185 degrees, crank the smoker up to 350 degrees, remove the water pan, and cook it to 200-205 internal temperature there. That's easy if I'm cooking on a propane smoker. But if I'm cooking with charcoal or wood, by the time the brisket is ready, the coals have probably died. So instead, I bring the brisket to an internal temperature of 195 - 200 degrees in the oven, then put it on my gas grill and grill a crust into it. Grill grates can help this process.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here