Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking Fish in PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking Fish in PBC

Anyone tried hanging a salmon or something similar? Trout? Herring? Mackerel? I've absolutely no experience in this, never tried anything similar, don't even know if you can hot smoke a fish. But I though fellow pitters might have a clue.

I've done fish, but I only cook on Chinese Tallow Tree planks. kidding......

I prefer most my fish fried, but 2-zoning some Talapia with a little cherry wood smoke really hits the spot. Never worried about the Pit Barrel for that with such a short cook.

Comment

I wouldn't hang fish.

Comment

I won't smoke fish in my PBC because Meathead warns that the fish oils can be deposited on the smoker's walls and can affect the flavor of future smokes. I smoke salmon in my gas grill because it's easier to clean the walls if/when necessary.

Kathryn

Comment

I smoke bluefish in my PBC. I use those disposable aluminum grill toppers folded in half with the fish inside, then hang from the hooks. I've also just placed them on the grate inside the grill topper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0817.JPG
Views:	1737
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	78222 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0818.JPG
Views:	1823
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	78223

I've not noticed any ill effects on subsequent cooks.

Comment

I did hang a red snapper once, it ended up in the coals (posted a picture here, probably in the fail thread). Use a basket.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              With your exotic spice room, I'm sure it was still quite good....

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh we devoured it. I called it caveman char-grilled red snapper.

I saw on a PBS cooking show where they used chicken wire fencing to make a basket. The salmon was sandwiched between two layers of thin chicken wire fencing that was fastened together with wire ties and hung by the wire. It worked but I don’t know if that was the magic of TV since I’ve never had a chance to try. I want to. I’ve got to get a PBC first...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here