Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eugenek
    replied
    Hey Jordan, I've experienced the stall only a couple times but that's because the smoker temp dropped below 225. My usual cook reaches an internal temp of 190 to 195 in about 4 to 4.5 hours with the smoker temp at 250—no stall at all. I've also experienced quick rises where I've left the smoker unattended and it shoots up super high, but I just close off all the intakes/outake and it settles back down.

Leave a comment:

• Ernest
    replied
    It depends on your lighting method and what you're cooking.

Leave a comment:

• jmott7
    replied
    Well, the PBC doesn't naturally produce nice blue smoke to begin with. I would think it would take a pretty choked out fire to run it that low.

Leave a comment:

• JeffJ
    replied
    In the future I recommend a lower cooking temp if they are individually cut bones. I cooked shorties a few weeks ago at 225 and it took a little under 6 hours to reach 200 degrees.

Leave a comment:

• jmott7
    replied
    Thanks. I held them in the faux cambro for an hour and a half. They were ok. Decent, really. But I've done better. These were at least two inches off the bone. The odd thing is, individual ribs stalled on me last time. Sure, not real long, like a butt, but these were at temp in two and a half hours. I really do need to keep a log.
    Last edited by jmott7; April 12, 2015, 10:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    If these are individual ribs it's no surprise they didn't stall at temps of 280-300 because they are probably relatively thin compared to a butt or brisket. . You need a large mass of meat for the stall to occur even at low and slow temps. You can faux cambro for a couple of hours with no problems.

Leave a comment:

• jmott7
    replied
    Yeah, but I've done them before on the PBC (which runs hot), and they still stalled. Not this time. Really weird.

Leave a comment:

• LA Pork Butt
    commented on 's reply
    I think they are cooking fast because you started at 300 and dropped the temp to 280. Note Medusa did them at 225-250. The difference in temp will make a big difference in cook time.

• jmott7
    replied
    Yeah, thanks. Not sure why they've gone so fast. I can usually count on the stall somewhere in the 150 to 160 range. They're at 198 now, less than 2 1/2 hours in. Also, does everyone else experience a really fast initial climb in the food temp the PBC?

Leave a comment:

• Medusa
    replied
    I cooked my 1st set to 203 degrees... 5 1/2 hr cook 225 - 250 degrees. Not sure if this info helps, but I'm sure that you could hold them in the faux for 1-2 hours after you hit the final IT.

--Ed

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    If you are worried about them getting overdone in the cambro, I have taken them out for an hour and put them back on. At an internal of 170 you are past the danger zone bug wise.

Leave a comment:

• jmott7
    started a topic HELP!

HELP!

Beef short ribs don't seem to be stalling out. They've been on for 1.25 hours and are already at 170 degrees. The cooker was running around 300, but I've brought it down to 280. They seem probe tender. Can these stay in the faux cambro or a 170 degree oven a few hours? My wife and daughter are just finishing lunch, for crying out loud.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here