Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post Turkey Time Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post Turkey Time Questions

Post turkey experience...16.5lbs took about 2.5hrs, ran two chunks maple against a little apple wood. Salt brined skin, ran S&G rub under it. For those who do butter under the skin - how well does that work out? Asking because I'm a little nervous about it being as oily as a store bought rotisserie but curious to try if it cranks up the taste just a bit more?

I like butter, but it contains over 10% water. If you want to go that route, use ghee. It just clarified butter.

Comment

I have used just plain butter mixed with the S&G under the skin for years now. Your bird took about the same as my 16.5 lb. birds do.

Comment

Definitely a fan of rubbing butter under the skin. Clarified butter is probably better but that being said I've just used regular butter at least 3 times with no problems whatsoever. Usually I soften it and blend in some herbs (I have a small herb garden so for poultry I'll put in sage, rosemary, etc) and rub the whole outside as well as on the breasts underneath the skin. Absolutely fantastic. Also always use more garlic than you think you should. Some people like to stuff lemons or limes in the cavity too, which I am never against. Apples work too!

Comment

S and G? what is that? Newbie here

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here