Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another PBC modification: built-in thermometer ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another PBC modification: built-in thermometer ?

I thoroughly enjoy my PBC. And I understand and appreciate the benefits of Noah's simplified, repeatable approach with fewer variables. I think a common attribute of many cookers, however, is their desire to tinker--to understand, to experiment and to improve. Evidence of that desire is all over this sub-forum and most of the others.

With that said, has anyone found and installed a good-quality thermometer in their PBC? I'm an information junkie and would like to know the temperature inside the PBC as well as the temperature of the meat I'm cooking. I've started to look for a reliable thermometer that can be mounted on my PBC lid. A hole must be drilled in the lid, of course, and the fitting used to mount the thermometer would need to be essentially air-tight.

Just wonderin'.

I had a Tel-Tru in the lid. I removed it. I prefer the remote capabilities of the Maverick. I also had to be aware of the probe being too close to meat, when it got FULL.

Comment

I thought about it, but I have a 4 probe unit and it gives me plenty, especially helpful when it's cold outside.

Comment

Thanks, guys. Jerod, did you mount your Tel-Tru in the center of the lid or to one side? Also, do you remember the length of the probe on the model you used? I'm interested in one solely to measure the ambient temperature inside the cooker. A meat probe thermometer would still also be necessary, of course. I must admit it seems that a remote-read, multi-probe unit would be easier to use in a variety of conditions.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Let me put a pic below and I am pretty sure I got one of the shorter probe models. They do have a $100+ unit that has a tilting probe...... Denver Griz

I've a four probe Idevice, and I put one probe through the lid about an inch close to the center. I previously just hung the probe over a rod and let it dangle. Either way, I'm only using it to ball park the barrel temp. Getting to to 'hot' (380 or so) in the first 5 - 10 mins, then checking to see if it's in its cooking range 275 - 310 for the rest of the cook.

If works just fine for that. I wouldn't worry about a probe to the center of the barrel / dropping deep off the lid.

Matt

Comment

You can see where the probe was.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010005.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	77816

Comment

• Fire Water Music
            Fire Water Music commented
            Editing a comment
            What is going on with those pipes and shut off valves? Damn!

• Denver Griz
            Denver Griz commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, Jerod Broussard. That's essentially the location I am considering. Right now, I'm gravitating between one of the TelTrus and the iCelsius wireless multi-probe. I do appreciate the input and picture.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here