Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Pork time on the PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled Pork time on the PBC

Was wanting brisket this weekend, but found boston butts on sale at HEB for 97 cents/LB, so menu changed to pulled pork. Dry-brined it on Thursday night.... added Memphis Dust this morning and hung it in the PBC. Had trouble maintaining a temp early on. (chimney start, with 40 briquetts of B&B briquettes) Eventually, cracked the lid and let it get to 300+ and things leveled back down to 250 for a good while, but now starting to drift down. I wonder if it is stall related...

Also through a rack of Spare ribs in as well for the daughter (her favorite).

Gonna let this cook through the stall with no wrapping.

Yeah I think it's the stall. Just let it run. Make sure to take that butt off the hooks before it gets much above 170 or you risk it falling off the hooks.

If it gets much lower you can crack the lid slightly until temps come back up.

Comment

Pit Boss, will do... was planning on racking it up at 165-170... about to crack it as it as continued the slide to 230...

Comment

Sounds good. We want pics of the final result!

Comment

Pulled off at 170 internal.... onto the grate now....
          Overcooked my ribs. Good thing I double hooked them (like a brisket hang). Wasn't the best rack of spares, kinda on the small side, so I misjudged cook time big time. Still tasty, but a little too fall off the bone tender.

Comment

Looking at your chart, the temp didn't get quite hot enough in the beginning suggesting too few lit coals, usually that means a day of fighting temps. Looks good though for sure.

Comment

Wow $.97/lb that's great. My wife found some chicken thighs for that a few days ago and I was happy.

Comment

All done and resting now. Hit another stall it seemed at 195. Just sat there forever it felt like. Cracked the lid to push it to 203 finally. Cook took a lot longer than anticipated, next time will try splitting it into two. Once the I got past initial temp problems, the PBC performed like a champ... multiple hours of 275 +/- without me doing anything.

Comment

Koy S, I hope you have some photos as you tore into that PB. It looks amazing!

I agree with John that your initial smoker temp should have been higher for a more steady cook. I take it up to 400 or so at the beginning. It settles in around 270-280 usually.

And FWIW, I've done 7.5 lb PBs and 3 lb PBs on my PBC and they both took about the same amount of time (about 10 hours) with an ave PBC temp of 270. On my last PB cook, the coals died at 8 hours (meat was 190 internal) so I finished the PB up in a 225 deg F oven. It still had amazing bark and awesome taste. I use Meathead's recipe (and rub) for PB all the way. That guy sure knows his flavor profiles. Just sayin'.

Kathryn
                  Last edited by fzxdoc; March 29, 2015, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Kathryn,
                    Here is the pull pic. Had great bark and smoke ring. I used the Memphis dust as well, great stuff. I got almost 12 hours out of one load of coals. Served this up on some sourdough buns... so good. Now what to have for lunch with these left overs? Might be nacho time.

Comment

Ohmigosh, KoyS, that looks so beautiful! With a cook like that, the PBC just might get the Pork Butt Whisperer title to add to the Chicken Whisperer title that Ernest has already bestowed on it.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here