Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermoworks Billows and the PBC! (VERY Unscientific - But Fun!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermoworks Billows and the PBC! (VERY Unscientific - But Fun!)

SO!
    I took advantage of the Thermoworks sale. I bought a Billows. Once I saw it could work with the PBC AND The Weber Kettle - I HAD To!

I bought the Komodo Adapters as directed because one of them had a slot that fit perfectly on the PBC. The adapters were totally flat - so I finagled the slotted one to make the one I needed a little curvier. A few strips of Nashua Silver Metal Tape and I was ready to rock.

I will drill the hole in the Weber Kettle soon and let you know how it works.

68 Degrees outside. Not much wind. I Totally FILLED the PBC charcoal holder and put an additional 40 briquettes in the chimney and started the fire underneath to get them lit. 10-10-10 method worked well.

Wouldn't you know it - one of them Magical Days -
    I had an 8 pound Boneless Pork Butt from Aldi.
    I put the meat on at 10:30 am.
    The daggone PBC Maintained 225 - 230 until almost 15:30!! WTH! LOL! 5 Hours!

Then it happened - the Temp dipped below 225 and Poof - The Billows Fan kicked on. Little puffs - little bursts - not a continuous on - pulses. And the Temp came back to 238:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	1530 temps.jpg Views:	2 Size:	19.2 KB ID:	739300

NICE!

There were a few more times when the temp dipped - and the fan kicked on to bring the temp up - totally Awesome.

I NEVER Lifted the lid once until 9 hours into the cook.
    It was 19:30 by then - the meat was ~ 190 Degrees - we were hungry - and we chowed down! Didn't care that it was "under-cooked" LOL!
    We inhaled it and loved It!

There were a few anomalies on the screen of the Signals - and the Signals never took the labels of the temp probes from the App. I had Pork Probe and Pork Probe 2 on the App - but the Signals kept showing Pork 1 and Chick 1 from my last cook. And the High Alarm on one of the probes kept saying 1276. The High Temp for one of the probes kept showing "L567" - but I will dig in more and report back any consistent weirdness..

At the end of the cook - the Temps got wonky - weird even. When I finally lifted the lid after 9 hours - there was plenty of fuel left so again - more data needed! You can see here the Temp Dips - and when the Fan Kicked In - All in All it Rocks!

Click image for larger version  Name:	1909 spikes.jpg Views:	1 Size:	111.9 KB ID:	739301

PLEASE OH PLEASE let me know if you have any questions at all!

Click image for larger version  Name:	On_Grill.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.20 MB ID:	739302

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pull1A.jpg Views:	1 Size:	285.6 KB ID:	739303
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Pull2A.jpg Views:	1 Size:	254.9 KB ID:	739304
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Storm_72; September 3, 2019, 08:05 PM.

I love using a fan on my PBC, if just to prevent excess temp drops due to stalling meats. Works great!!

Congrats on the success!!

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      @ Jerod Broussard are you using the pit viper fan? If so what adapter do you have?

@Storm_72 I also have the signals and have figured out the temp probe label issue in the app. You need to keep the label name 4 characters or less. The signals will not read it otherwise. (i.e. PIT, BEEF, PORK, etc.)

Comment

@Storm_72 Looks delicious. I bought a Billows during the sale too, but I've been too lazy to change out the adapter I have for the BBQGuru to the one I got for the Billows. You've inspired me, however, to try cooking at a lower temp with the controller. I've been keeping it at 250° and above.

Comment

Looks like I am late to the discussion, but I hope someone can answer a question for me. I have read about the Billows for use on both the PBC and a Weber kettle (my kettle is the 18" Jumbo Joe which I often setup for 2 zone when cooking for just me and my wife). 1st question: will the Bellows work with the Jumbo Joe I have? 2nd question: I have seen pictures of it mounted to the intake vent on the PBC but no mention as to anything that must be done to the exhaust vents (which house the rebar, etc). Is this a problem for the PBC? Is this even an issue using the Bellows? Would appreciate any input.....this inquiring mind wants to know!

Comment

• MattyG64
          MattyG64 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello,

This is really a late reply, but I just bought a billows and a signals setup for my PBC. I experienced runaway temps with air drafting through the billows even with the fan off. I ended up putting foil around the rebar on 2 holes and that worked really well.

I have seen no issues with the app or the temps or the equipment thus far.

Originally posted by Alabama Smoke View Post
        Looks like I am late to the discussion, but I hope someone can answer a question for me. I have read about the Billows for use on both the PBC and a Weber kettle (my kettle is the 18" Jumbo Joe which I often setup for 2 zone when cooking for just me and my wife). 1st question: will the Bellows work with the Jumbo Joe I have? 2nd question: I have seen pictures of it mounted to the intake vent on the PBC but no mention as to anything that must be done to the exhaust vents (which house the rebar, etc). Is this a problem for the PBC? Is this even an issue using the Bellows? Would appreciate any input.....this inquiring mind wants to know!
        I would imagine that the Jumbo Joe would work fine with the Billows. However, it might be a little bit small and the billows might be snuffing the fire a bit, but I am not sure. I know I have a little bit of a problem when I have my unit hooked up to my KJ Jr. That being said, my FireBoard also has learned how to run my larger kamados, so switching back and fourth can cause some issues but the unit usually figures it out.

As for the PBC, you only have to mount the unit to the bottom damper. They are designed to be the primary air source for the barrel or what ever unit you are using. I have a similar system on my kamados, (FireBoard) and I leave my top dampers set to the same spot when I am using the unit or not. Sometimes, I will damp the top down a little bit more than normal from time to time, if it is really windy out.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
          Alabama Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          Ahhh! So it would seem that I would normally not need to make any adjustment to the exhaust vents?? But if needed, block one or more with alum. foil to further reduce heat?

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          You got it. Or if the fan is running too much or your temps are running over. You will need to play with it a little bit, but once you get it dialed in, they work great. The learning curve is small and takes little time. Alabama Smoke

Thanks Spinaker Don't know if I will buy one or not. Even when I totally screw up, the PBC seems to bail me out! Simple and love it.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          And you may have your answer right there. I never run my controllers on my PBCs. Honestly, they really don't need them. Although I might feel that way, somewhat, , because I use them on my kamados, so if I want an "hands-off" overnight cook I go the Kamado/FireBoard route.

I still say the app is junk. Too many quirks. I’m on my second Signals unit. I’m really reluctant to buy the billows, glad to hear someone is having success with that setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
          I still say the app is junk. Too many quirks. I’m on my second Signals unit. I’m really reluctant to buy the billows, glad to hear someone is having success with that setup.

This is an old thread but as a former Bluetherm Duo and Current ThermaQ owner, the thermoworks apps are and alway have been garbage. It's now time to replace the ThermaQ, and I'm between the Smoke X4 and the Fireboard Pro, I would not buy another thermoworks product that relies on an app (the Smoke X4 has a separate receiver, and I kind of like the idea of that vs constantly unlocking my iPhone to see temps).

Comment

The Fireboard app is one of its strengths. Not often does a company get both its software and hardware as good as Fireboard.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here