Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilling hamburgers and pork chops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilling hamburgers and pork chops

Hi everyone. Its been along time but I am starting to get the itch to grill again outside. Its been along cold winter in Wisconsin.

My wife and I want to grill a couple burgers one day and then do a couple pork chops the next day. My question is how much charcoal do I use for 3 burgers and 3 pork chops. All I have for a charcoal grill is my PB. Is it overkill? What do you guys recommend.

Thanks everyone! Its good to be outside again!!

I wouldn't fill the basket up for burgers or chops. You'll burn way more charcoal than you'll need. I've never grilled on my PBC, but I think a chimney of hot coals should get plenty hot. For searing, ideally, you want to get closer to the fire than the PBC will allow you, but Noah claims you can make good burgers on it, so good luck. And enjoy!

Comment

Hi Jordan. That's what I was thinking is that the coals are so far away but I will still try it. How long do burgers usually take on a charcoal grill. We like ours medium cook.

Comment

That depends on how thick they are and how close to the flame you have them. I just read about a guy who put frozen patties on the PBC, put the lid on, and flipped them in 10. I raise the fire grate on my kettle and cook them very close to the flame. I flip several times once the meat doesn't want to stick to the grill. You can flip less since you're further from the fire. Use a thermometer to test for doneness. It should take you longer on a PBC than a grill, but the initial climb in temp can be pretty fast. Keep an eye on things and let us know how it goes.

Comment

I've been thinking about trying something similar in the PBC, but using my chimney (or a coffee can) to bring the coal basket up closer to the grate. Something like that might help.

Another thought, is to do a reverse sear using the PBC for the initial cook, and sear on a chimney half full of coals. Although that would use even more coals then just the PBC.

Comment

So, Clarkgriswald , how did it go?

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan Mott View Post
              So, Guest , how did it go?
              Well plans changed so I didn't get a chance to do it. Hopefully this weekend I can do it.

Comment

I posted pics awhile ago of shackles I hooked from the charcoal pan to the grate. Originally the idea was a pizza stone to get hotter. It would grill anything that needs to be close to the coals.
                Attached Files

Comment

How's the grill grate holding up, Kranknhank? Has it bent with the additional weight? How often have you used this arrangement? I'm obviously intrigued!

Thanks,
                  Kathryn

Comment

I haven't used it yet lol. This season I will. I have a pizza stone too so it will happen. There is no weight issue with the grill holding the coal bin but I will get back to you since you are wondering.. Friday night I am queing for my sons 30 bday and I will use the shackles for hamburger and hot dogs . Thanks for asking Kathryn, Hank
                    Last edited by kranknhank; April 7, 2015, 01:02 PM.

Comment

I like that idea kranknhank. I am thinking (haven't tried yet though) that cooking burgers or dogs would be to far away from the flame in the regular PB mode. I was almost thinking about getting some kind of smaller grill for this because it's just me and my wife.

Comment

Get a Weber Smokey Joe if you just cook 3 burgers. Or better get a Weber Kettle and you can do more than just grill.

Comment

Clarkgriswald I totally agree with Guy. Smokey Joe 14.5" grills are about $30 give or take, and are all Weber quality, and worth every penny. I have grilled 5 good sized burgers on mine, while still maintaining an indirect zone. and this was with using only a dozen briquettes. If all you need is space for 2-3 burgers or chops, seriously, you should consider this little guy. Here is my post showing how I did it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here