Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pit Barrel Rubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pit Barrel Rubs

I'm thinking about ordering some more Pit Barrel rub from Noah. I would like some opinions on which of the two rubs you prefer and why. The choices are, of course, the All Purpose Rub and the Beef and Game Rub. Thanks!

Didn't really care for the B&G, about to finish my second big bag of APR.

Comment

All Purpose is the bomb. I just use it on pork butts and almost have a 5 pound bag gone. It has no sugar worth mentioning in the ingredients, so I add a 1:1 ratio of brown and white sugar at some point before I wrap, or pull if I forget the before wrap part, or they don't get crutched.

Didn't care for the Big Game rub.
      Last edited by Jerod Broussard; March 14, 2015, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Sounds like the APR is winning right outta da gate. Do you use the APR on beef as well as pork and chicken?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Nah, I like different flavor profiles. Butts take so much rub, and so many people ask for them, I got tired of mixing up rubs. I don't mind the salt, because it is so plenteous, I can apply it 36-48 hours before the cook, and get somewhat of a dry-brine affect.

I stay away from presalted rubs. Gun to my head, I'll pick APR

Comment

APR on chicken is great! I ordered the 5 lb bag of it several months ago. I store it in mason jars since it comes in a big plastic bag.

I use Meathead's Memphis Rub on pork and his Big Bad Beef Rub on beef.

Kathryn

Comment

I agree with the above. APR for chickens, Memphis Dust or APR for ribs/pork. Still haven't used up the original jar of B&G, don't care for it.

Comment

I have the same opinion on this, bought a 5lb bag of the APR,use it for chicken, Memphis dust for pork, didn't care for B&G.

Comment

Another vote for APR on chicken. Real TX Grand Champ on ribs and butts.

Comment

I use the APR on baby backs but too much pepper for my wife and daughters. I thought the pepper flavor was really strong. I'm afraid to put it on chicken if my girls are going to be eating with me.

Comment

Well, I just made a batch of Memphis Rub and going to throw in 3 racks of baby backs. Bottled the left over rub and if my company likes it I'll send them home with a bottle. :-) Keeping fingers crossed.

Comment

You won't regret the memphis rub! It's just too easy to make rubs to bother purchasing them some times... The all purpose is great on chicken and ribs like fyzyxdoc says... Personally I like a nice touch of the pbc beef and game rub on burgers and steak... but generally don't use it *in* the pbc...

BTW I just mixed up a nice batch of MeatHead's Memphis Rub... the first time I just used a fork to stir the stuff together and it looked dark owing to the brown sugar... this time, after I did the same (with twice as much because the first time batch just didn't last long enough i.e. I am SOLD on this stuff) it still looked dark so I put it though my top-loader coffee mill and that REALLY made the mix uniform. Three days in the jars so far and zero clumping... and I did not have to dry out the brown sugar... looks really good... and it tastes even better.

Comment

I bought a 5 lb. bag of both the APR and BBBR from Pit Barrel Cooker Co. I love the APR, but not sure about the other. A suggestion: For Thanksgiving (and before I purchased the 10 lb. of rub), smoked my first turkey and had equal parts of both rubs left over (from the free samples that came with my PBC). I mixed them TOGETHER (i.e., I had approx. equal parts of each rub.) and the turkey was delish! So, if you don't favor the BBBR by itself, try combining equal parts of both rubs and try it (on one slab, at least) and see if that works.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                          fzxdoc commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Good to know, Mayhem Mike . I'm not a fan of their Beef and Game Rub either. I much prefer Meathead's BBBR. I'll try mixing the Beef & Game with some of the AP rub for a future poultry cook. It would be a good way to use it up. Thanks for the tip.

Kathryn

Originally posted by Mayhem Mike View Post
                        I bought a 5 lb. bag of both the APR and BBBR from Pit Barrel Cooker Co. I love the APR, but not sure about the other. A suggestion: For Thanksgiving (and before I purchased the 10 lb. of rub), smoked my first turkey and had equal parts of both rubs left over (from the free samples that came with my PBC). I mixed them TOGETHER (i.e., I had approx. equal parts of each rub.) and the turkey was delish! So, if you don't favor the BBBR by itself, try combining equal parts of both rubs and try it (on one slab, at least) and see if that works.
                        Mayhem Mike Instead of BBBR (Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub) do you mean PBC's Beef & Game Pit Rub?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here