Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using the Grate Without Bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLBuckeye
    commented on 's reply
    Would magnets work on plugging vent holes in a WSM? Was looking at high temp tape but magnets would be easier. Putting the Party Q in the other hole

• David Parrish
    replied
    Originally posted by OGMrWhite View Post

That is the wisest thing I have heard all day!

A steady supply of wine corks is a GREAT thing!

Leave a comment:

• OGMrWhite
    replied
    Originally posted by Doc Hazard View Post
    They don't burn, but I like to keep a steady supply of replacements coming.
    That is the wisest thing I have heard all day!

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    I have magnets to cover my holes. Great post....

Leave a comment:

• Doc Hazard
    started a topic Using the Grate Without Bars

Using the Grate Without Bars

If you are using the grate in the PBC the hanging bars just get in the way. So take them out! But that changes the top venting area, so you need to compensate. Here's how. The holes for the bars are 3/4" diameter, with an area of 0.44 sq in. Part of that area is filled by the bar itself. The bar is 0.525" in diameter, with an area of about 0.22 sq in. Thus the net open venting area is 0.225 sq in for EACH hole, or a total of 0.9 sq in. That's equivalent to two fully open (no bar) holes, so just plug up two holes, leave two open, and the PBC should work just like it does with the bars in place. Mine does. I use wine corks with one end shaved down a bit to plug the holes. They don't burn, but I like to keep a steady supply of replacements coming. Have at least 4 so at the end of the cook you can plug all the holes, close the lower vent fully, and save the charcoal for another day. It's easy to do that with my lower vent shutter mod.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here