Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Cat in the Hat and, oh, tri-tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cat in the Hat and, oh, tri-tip

Did a tri-tip low and slow on the barrel tonight, Put 20 briquettes in the starter and about 20 into the basket that I had restricted with a divider to half. Dropped a nice chunk of hickory into the chimney at startup. Let the charcoal ash over and the hickory chunk was blazing merrily along. Poured lit coals over coals in basket and placed the burning piece of hickory on top. Dropped the basket into the barrel and installed the rack and barrel temp probe. Slapped the lid on and went in to grab the meat.

Nice smallish tip dry brinned and dusted with Big Bag Beef Rub. Not too heavy. Inserted a temp probe into the thick part of the tip and placed it on the rack. Temp of the barrel was about 220... The important thing was the hunk of hickory was really smoking nicely! Pre-lighting it really works. So, anyway, take the tip to 123 internal and removed to a blazing cast iron pan for the skillet for the sear. Seared for about two minutes per side.

Beautiful rare+ to medium rare throughout the whole tip - even the thin part and that surprised me a touch. Sliced some nice slices about pencil thickness for dinner. Boy, super juicy an tender, and, thanks to pre-lighting the hickory it had a lovely hickory undertone.. Delicious.

So, to the picture. I sliced the remainder of the tip nice and thin for lunch meat and vac sealed it in 4 oz packets. When I got back to the kitchen counter with the foodsaver the cat was stalking the tip! Not like she didn't get a fair share while I was eating!! She cracks me up. I think she gets as excited as I do when I roll the barrel out!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	TriTip.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	628275

Very nice.

Comment

Yum yum yum!!!!

Comment

I’m a reverse sear guy, too. I always do it over live fire on a charcoal grill, but I like the idea of using a cast iron pan...might be nice if I don’t already have a fire going!

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Ditto. 🕶

• PappyBBQ
          PappyBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah. I hear you. I've done the searing over coals in the starter but the PBC isn't the tool for searing. I have a huge grill that is gas on one side and charcoal on the other, but it's overkill for a single hunk of meat and kind of a waste of charcoal. The CI pan does a great job.

My QA cat is ever helpful, when there are delectable comestibles to be had!
        Sweet kitty shot, lotsa warmpth an fuzzies, here!

Comment

So, you pre burn your wood. Will have to give it a try. Meat looks marvelous!

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe a picture of your divided coal basket next time please.

• PappyBBQ
            PappyBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            I just use a brick... And, yeah, get the chunks burning real good. I find if I don't do this the wood just carbonizes and doesn't really impart much taste to the food. Lots of time when I split the basket I put the wood on the non-charcoal side to start.

With apologies to Dr. Seuss:

I’m hiding, I’m hiding and no one knows where.
          I don’t think they’ll notice me snatching my share.
          I can be very quick, in and out in a beat;
          Disappearing like smoke with a mouthful of meat!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol!, Priceless, Brother!

I ain't even lettin Smokey read this post

• PappyBBQ
            PappyBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Love it! She'd have trouble with a slice though because she only has two teeth!

• PappyBBQ
            PappyBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Mr. Bones I hear ya! Fortunately she's not too aggressive and she KNOWS she'll be gettin' some! My daughter's cat Hobbs on the other hand, would have to be restrained with chains and cables. Fortunately he's off on St. Kitts with her at vet school. He's an island cat and a real predator though sweet as can be with people!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here