Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami chaos and recovery....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami chaos and recovery....

So it goes....it was bound to happen.I scored a point and a flat...corned beef brisket....at Wal Mart. Prices were 3.99lb, I was happy with this. As I love MH's Pastrami recipe, and well, nearly any Pastrami recipe that involves me creating it....off to the races.

In laws were up, needed the Weber kettle for other duties. Decided to fire up the PBC for Pastrami'd brisket. Put in the grate, lit 40 coals in the chimney, all was perfect. 225 for 4hrs. Then...the temps dropped. 197....I cracked the PBC lid.....and went on to eat eat a great dinner, have coffee, desert,....only to find the PBC running at 497! Never ever seen it run this hot. Nice to know.

So the meat was a bit smaller than when I left it. Note dramatic understatement. I pulled it right then and there and double foil wrapped it. In to the fridge it went. Bottom side was BLACK. Fortunately, I had the fat cap down on the flat and the point was a fatty mess so perhaps...just maybe...I'll get away with this.

It's cooling in the fridge now. I've tasted the charred rub that flaked off.....not bad. A bit "burnt black pepper", but overall, I don't think it'll be a toss away. Fingers crossed. It's Sunday eve dinner, after all. I think it'll work out fine as long as I can get those muscle fibers to contemplate relaxing tmrw. Normally I'd steam, but tmrw I may do the long and low in the oven. TBD .

Moral of the story...we all pretty much know that cracking the lid on the PBC will raise temps quickly. I've crisped chicken skin in this fashion, raised temps as needed when doing other meats.....though I confess I had NO IDEA that an hour of a cracked lid equalled nearly 500 deg. I wouldn't have thought it possible on the PBC as I struggle with low temps more often than not. Turns out it's really not that hard, just have a few drinks and go to dinner;-)

I can't imagine cracking the lid for that long, unless I have 4-5 briskets hanging, or 3 pork butts, or combination of butts and briskets......all doing their best to sweat their way out the PBC.

I cooked my brisket yesterday. I ran around 225-245 for 7.5 hours.

Great story!!!

Comment

I'm still chuckling at myself Jerod. Such a dumb mistake, if I'd have only set my alarms on on the Mav 732.....oh no, way too difficult, heh. The flat, I predict will recover. The point, which was a small pc of meat......we shall see. Plenty o fat in that one, but I dunno.......

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeh, my point is pretty small. I think the full packer was under 10 pounds. I'm going to steam that part first.

Oh dude, I feel your pain. I had a cook this week where I slept through my timer alarm. I totally CROAKED the pork I was cooking. The pastrami I was smoking was the only survivor, and it was a bit "dry."

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        @Strat: got any pix of that dead pork for the Failures thread?

DEW

• Strat50
        Strat50 commented
        Editing a comment
        I couldn't bring myself to photograph the carnage. Think black...lol

On the plus side, the pastrami was incredible. Came out fine. A bit of a burnt black pepper taste but that is the ONLY criticism I could muster. Point tip was a bit chewy/jerky like but I persevered. This home made pastrami habit is bad news, I am uncontrollable around the stuff. It really is that good. And charring it to death doesn't seem to have a significant influence. Further, I had NO IDEA that I could ever hit 500 deg temps on the PBC. This was an eye opener.

FWIW, I had opened the lower vent about half way when my elevation requires ~.25 open. It didn't really effect things all that much. I then cracked the lid and set it about 2" offset and walked away from an hour.....500deg. Might be a pizza oven yet at this rate.

Iv'e got some pics, I'll have to endeavor to learn how to post em up.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here