Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Check out the NEW Pit Barrel Cooker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check out the NEW Pit Barrel Cooker!

Check out what greeted me on my doorstep when I got home today! (Don't worry the kid was in the house, not on the doorstep, when I got home)

The box looks much the same as it did the last time I got a PBC, however it felt quite a bit heavier to lug into the house. Before you ask, no the kid wasn't on the box when I brought it inside. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6429.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	57486

Opening the box and removing the cardboard protective packing reveals the new enamel paint job. Snazzy! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6433.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	57487

Taking it out of the box I noticed it's definitely heavier and made out of thicker steel. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6440.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	57488

You can see here they changed out the expanded metal charcoal basket bottom for sturdier steel Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6437.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	57490

In this photo if you look closely you'll see that the grill grate is now held in place by steel pegs. I haven't tried stress testing them but they look sturdier than the metal flaps welded into my previous PBC. You can also see the handles are now bolted onto the PBC instead of welded. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6438.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	57491

The one thing I was kind of hoping for, but didn't get, is a wingnut to make it easier to adjust the bottom vent. Luckily adjustments don't happen often.

All in all these are great improvements and I can't help but think the new PBC is a better deal now at $299 than the old PBC was at $289.

Let me know if I missed any details you'd like to know about and I'll edit this post.
    Attached Files

Nice! You're the only guy I know who owns 2 PBCs. I think your son is perhaps happier than you...

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Now I just need 30 or 40 people to feed. lol

• Guy
      Guy commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree Huskee, the boy looks like he is having a real belly laugh.

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      He loves helping Daddy barbecue. That's for sure.

Looks great, is the finish similar to Weber? The only thing I would have liked added was a rounded lid so it didn't hold water. Risers on the coal basket look a little longer as well.

Edit, would love to have some clamp on casters.

Comment

I can't say if the paint is exactly the same as Weber's, but it definitely looks superior to the old powder coat. I didn't really notice the risers on the basket to be taller. That's something I'll need to compare.

Comment

I bet a rounded lid would add too much to manufacturing costs, and therefore the PBC itself obviously. You can set a Weber grill lid on top of it to shed rain, lots of folks do this. Maybe you already know this.

Comment

• Hondo
          Hondo commented
          Editing a comment
          Does an 18 inch Weber dome lid fit the PBC well enough to cook with? Doesn't matter... just curious. I'm ordering a PBC very soon...

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          I'v never tried to use my 18.5" dome to cook on the PBC but it does a great job of keeping rain water from pooling on the PBC lid.

Neato. I was attaching my ash pan to my charcoal basket today. My clips I installed into the ash pan may be a tad too big.

Comment

Nice, glad to hear it is made of heavier steel

Comment

Very nice !!

Comment

Awesome! Christmas keeps coming! Well done, love the new finish.

Comment

New verbiage on the PBC FAQ page.

Q: What kind of coating is used on the PBC?
                A: The Pit Barrel cooker has a porcelain enamel coating.

(so no more rusting?)
                Last edited by Steve Navarre; January 27, 2015, 09:47 PM.

Comment

No more rusting? I don't think so.
                  To be honest, I am surprised that they went that route. I was under the impression that powder coating was better at preventing rust. It adheres to the metal substrate which produces excellent adhesion and isn't suppose to chip. Where porcelin enamel coatings are more prone to chipping. And where there is chipping rust will form. I'm sure they have done their research but I was just a little surprised by this one. It does look a lot sexier than the black powder coat.

Good question, anyone else have any thoughts on this one?

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Interesting, is the powder coat is usually smother on the surface than what we see on the PBC? Are you going to have to take the paint off before you re do the paint job? I'd like to see the pics of this project.

• BruceB
                    BruceB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree with John. I was working up to a similar post, but he beat me to it

I've been involved with powder coated motorcycle and automotive parts as well, and they are visibly thicker-looking and very glossy, and very chip-resistant. It also seems to be very heat resistant, not cracking or breaking down under exhaust temperatures.

• Beefchop
                    Beefchop commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I don't know, but I had one of the older PBCs with the powder coating and noticed that it rusted at the bottom lip. I just scrubbed it out, added some oil and went with it but imagine that the new coating will be more weather resistant.

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
                  No more rusting? I don't think so.
                  To be honest, I am surprised that they went that route. I was under the impression that powder coating was better at preventing rust. It adheres to the metal substrate which produces excellent adhesion and isn't suppose to chip. Where porcelin enamel coatings are more prone to chipping. And where there is chipping rust will form. I'm sure they have done their research but I was just a little surprised by this one. It does look a lot sexier than the black powder coat.

Good question, anyone else have any thoughts on this one?
                  Well if it has any similar qualities to Weber's kettle coatings, them things last decades without burnout and rust. Who really knows....

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good point, yeah I'm more than sure that Noah and the folks in Colorado did their homework on that one. The Weber finish was probably what they were going for.

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
                  The one thing I was kind of hoping for, but didn't get, is a wingnut to make it easier to adjust the bottom vent. Luckily adjustments don't happen often.
                  Can't you just add a wing nut or is it connected with a rivet?

Comment

• BruceB
                    BruceB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It would be convenient if the bolt were captured on the inside, mine is hard to tighten after adjusting because the bolt spins. Perhaps it needs a riv-nut for the bolt, or just have it tack welded in place.

I'm also concerned about the handles being bolted now, seems they might tend to come loose. Hopefully they use some sort of lock-washer, either basic or a star washer, and not some sort of nylock
                    Last edited by BruceB; January 28, 2015, 03:21 PM.

• mtford72
                    mtford72 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    A few months back I did as you suggest in this post - lock washer on the inside, wing nut on the outside. Cost a few cents. Works perfectly. Of course, I've had to adjust the intake exactly 0 times since the mod. Matt

Originally posted by Dr ROK View Post

Can't you just add a wing nut or is it connected with a rivet?

You could add one, sure.

Comment

• mtford72
                    mtford72 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    A few months back I did as you suggest in this post - lock washer on the inside, wing nut on the outside. Cost a few cents. Works perfectly. Of course, I've had to adjust the intake exactly 0 times since the mod. Matt

I think rust is inevitable . The charcoal basket's thick ring does shield the barrel from some heat, I just think expansion and contraction of the bottom of the barrel has to cause some "undoing" of the paint over time.

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thats what I'm thinking. The bottom will rust out before anything else.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here