Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fireproofing the deck...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guy
    commented on 's reply
    Wow, that must have been there awhile to burn through and also burning the floor joist. Glad that was all that happened.

• ATXBill
    replied
    Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
    I put mine up on cinder blocks. It also raises the PBC up to my level a little bit. Its too damn short.

2nd that. I placed a composite deck protector under mine, and then 1-inch cement pavers. They extend out about a foot or so from the PBC, which gives me a good place to set the chimney starter after pouring the hot coals.

Having the PBC raised up a couple of inches makes a big difference.

Leave a comment:

• archer2010
    replied
    Mine is on 3 thick pavers sitting on a concrete grill pad.

Leave a comment:

• Timkatt
    commented on 's reply
    I did the same thing to mine.

• Spinaker
    replied
    I put mine up on cinder blocks. It also raises the PBC up to my level a little bit. Its too damn short.

Leave a comment:

• Strat50
    commented on 's reply
    Mine is wood. No issues at all.

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Wow, SmokinBeeBBQ, you must have gotten that PBC smoking hot! I measured the temps under my PBC for the first few cooks that I did, and it never got hotter than about 200 deg F as I recall. I moved my PBC from the concrete terrace to the Trex deck in the Fall and set up a sandwich of 3 grill pads: two flexible fiber cement grill pads with a felted splatter mat in between. With those three pads I feel pretty secure that the deck won't heat up or discolor even during long cooks.

This is sort of like when you lose a computer document that you're working on and someone brightly says "didn't you back it up?" If you had, you wouldn't be moaning and groaning about losing it. So I realize that by telling you I use a 3-grillmat sandwich of protection under my PBC doesn't do a thing to help you with that hole in your deck. You must have been shocked when you first discovered it. I hope the repair isn't too big a pain.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; January 22, 2015, 06:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dr ROK
    commented on 's reply
    Do you use the cement board on a wood or composite deck?

• Deuce
    commented on 's reply
    I rinse mine off regularly, no crumbling

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    Why is Beavis stuck in my head?

Leave a comment:

• Strat50
    replied
    I don't take any chances with fire.

Leave a comment:

• Strat50
    commented on 's reply
    Mine hasn't, but I put a bit of sealer on it. The upright windbreaks I painted to match the house, but I have some leaned up on a shed thats been exposed to the rain, snow, and ice and is still intact.

• DWCowles
    commented on 's reply
    Doesn't that stuff crumble up when it gets wet

• smarkley
    replied
    I showed my wife that picture and she freaked out... thankful that our patio is concrete.

I am curious about what Noah would say about that *shrug*

Leave a comment:

• smarkley
    commented on 's reply
    LMAO!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis