Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fireproofing the deck...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fireproofing the deck...

Burned a hole in my deck cooking with my PBC. What should I lay on the wood deck to set my cookers on?

You don't use the stand? They make BBQ mats. That definitely is a HOLE....YIKES.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Wowzer...glad I cook on concrete.

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      I guess the horseshoes got hot, sunk down, then came the ring and that hot barrel. Too bad you don't have a video lapse of that.

• Guy
      Guy commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, that must have been there awhile to burn through and also burning the floor joist. Glad that was all that happened.

Wowsers, patio stones or brick pavers

Was that thing on its stand?

Comment

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      "You can't have 2 number ones," "Yeh, then you'd have 11." If that was previews off the same show with I think Ricky Bobby.

• SmokinBee BBQ
      SmokinBee BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      It was on the stand

Deck, schmek. What did you cook?!

Obviously kidding. I have a shallow clay pot - the kind that holds water for a potted plant - under the PBC. It fits nicely under the stand and just costs a couple of $$.

Matt

Comment

• SmokinBee BBQ
      SmokinBee BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Good idea

You must have done something to let the temps get too hot. Or did lit charcoal somehow get out of the cooker? At the very least you should have a grill mat under the PBC. I'll find the page. Hold on.

Comment

I do use a lot of patio stone for this type stuff. A couple of bucks a piece and very durable:

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-...s/N-5yc1vZbx4b

Comment

Check out the grill pad. It's on the right side of the page towards the bottom. http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_gu...cessories.html I have three. They work great.

Comment

Wow, glad you have a brick house. Anything else would have gotten pretty hot. Too close to the house.

Comment

I use a hardie backer cement board I got from Lowes for $12. It's a half in thick 3 x 5 board . I cut it and use a 3 x 3 for my PBC and a 2 x 3 to light my charcoal on .

Comment

• Deuce
              Deuce commented
              Editing a comment
              I rinse mine off regularly, no crumbling

• Dr ROK
              Dr ROK commented
              Editing a comment
              Do you use the cement board on a wood or composite deck?

• Strat50
              Strat50 commented
              Editing a comment
              Mine is wood. No issues at all.

Are you trying to show via pictures that the PBC literally burns circles around other cookers?

Comment

• smarkley
              smarkley commented
              Editing a comment
              LMAO!

I showed my wife that picture and she freaked out... thankful that our patio is concrete.

I am curious about what Noah would say about that *shrug*

Comment

I don't take any chances with fire.

Comment

Why is Beavis stuck in my head?

Comment

Wow, SmokinBeeBBQ, you must have gotten that PBC smoking hot! I measured the temps under my PBC for the first few cooks that I did, and it never got hotter than about 200 deg F as I recall. I moved my PBC from the concrete terrace to the Trex deck in the Fall and set up a sandwich of 3 grill pads: two flexible fiber cement grill pads with a felted splatter mat in between. With those three pads I feel pretty secure that the deck won't heat up or discolor even during long cooks.

This is sort of like when you lose a computer document that you're working on and someone brightly says "didn't you back it up?" If you had, you wouldn't be moaning and groaning about losing it. So I realize that by telling you I use a 3-grillmat sandwich of protection under my PBC doesn't do a thing to help you with that hole in your deck. You must have been shocked when you first discovered it. I hope the repair isn't too big a pain.

Kathryn
                  Last edited by fzxdoc; January 22, 2015, 06:51 PM.

Comment

I put mine up on cinder blocks. It also raises the PBC up to my level a little bit. Its too damn short.

Comment

• Timkatt
                      Timkatt commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I did the same thing to mine.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here