Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

coal basket for PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coal basket for PBC

Just cleaned out my PBC for the first and last time from coals. Here is another way to attach a pizza pan to the basket, I took some 1/2 inch wide, .075 thick 1/4 hard SS and bent a loop over to attach to the basket and then bent a 90 degree foot at the bottom to attach it to the pizza pan with some 1/8 inch rivets. Next is how to figure out the side pipes, does anybody know of a link with info???

Nice. I'm about to attach my pan to my basket. My poor cables are getting burned up. Can't blame 'em, that B & B gets HOT!

Comment

Are you talking about these types of pipes?? Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010005.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	53340

Comment

Yes I am any help on the design would be great

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Just need 2, 90's, valves, and then some extensions. I put them the same level as the reber holes . Used a hole bit, then two pipe washer nuts, one on each side to secure the pipe, since I don't have a welding machine.

I have 1/2"......think 3/4" would do better. However, I do get what I need out of these in conjunction with the B & B charcoal.

I have close ups on the laptop. I'love get them in a bit....search the PBS sub-forum. I should have them in there.
          Last edited by Jerod Broussard; January 17, 2015, 06:36 PM.

Close up. Used JB Weld to seal the outside.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	valves2.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	53364

Comment

Jerod,

Nice work, what if I may ask are/is the benefit of putting on these "stacks"?

Nick

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            Increase air flow to increase the temp , especially when I hang 4 or more briskets.

Nice ash pan. The notches are to clear the grate tabs? I'm doing this!

Comment

Looks great.

Comment

I just noticed your coal basket base is different than mine. I have expanded metal at the bottom.

Comment

I just got mine after Christmas so maybe they changed the bottom, I would say that the diameter of the grate matches the top grate for cooking, Thank you for the info on the stacks, my next project, What is the probe looking piece on the cover??

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Editing a comment
                  I had a Tel-Tru. Prefer the Maverick's "remoteness." Used a bolt to plug the hole.

Thanks

Comment

Figured since this thread was about the coal basket, I would just add to it, instead of starting a new one. Just received my PBC, and knew that before the first cook, I wanted an easier method of ash removal. The pizza pan seemed the best idea, but I attached it differently. Instead of the strap method, I drill a hole in each foot and simply riveted a 14-15" pan to the basket. Small enough not to need to be notched, but should be big enough to catch most the ashes.

Comment

• JPP
                    JPP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks like it'll do the trick...

Originally posted by Brewmaster View Post
                  Just cleaned out my PBC for the first and last time from coals. Here is another way to attach a pizza pan to the basket, I took some 1/2 inch wide, .075 thick 1/4 hard SS and bent a loop over to attach to the basket and then bent a 90 degree foot at the bottom to attach it to the pizza pan with some 1/8 inch rivets. Next is how to figure out the side pipes, does anybody know of a link with info???
                  why did you cut out the expanded steel on the basket?

Comment

didn't cut out the expanded steel, they now come with a grate for the bottom

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here