Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on a Picnic Shoulder in the PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dewesq55
    replied
    I don't use a PBC, but I have cooked a few picnics since until recently that was all I could get. You definitely remove the skin for smoking and trim the fat under it as well. Skin and fat don't give you bark. Shoulders are great for pulled pork, they just have more bone than a butt.

Leave a comment:

• W.A.
    replied
    I remove the skin and hook it close to the bones in two spots. I think it takes longer for shoulder, but I don't have good evidence.

Leave a comment:

• bbqoaf
    replied
    I can only comment on #3 and the answer is yes. I have done Picnics before and they are delicious.

Leave a comment:

• KingOfSilverSpring
    started a topic Advice on a Picnic Shoulder in the PBC

Advice on a Picnic Shoulder in the PBC

To date I have done a number butts, or boneless boston butt pork shoulders on the PBC with a great deal of success.

I was at my local grocery store yesterday and they have a great deal on picnic shoulders. I got a 12 pound shoulder with the skin still on one side.

I have not seen a lot of posts or discussions about smoking a picnic shoulder versus a boston butt in the PBC and I know Meathead recommends the boston butt for pulled pork.

Anyone have any experience with picnic shoulders? My primary questions are:

1. Should I remove the skin or not?

2. What is the best way to hang a picnic shoulder?

3. Is the time / method to smoking the same as I would use for a boston butt?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here