Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is for JPP...Pit Barrel Modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is for JPP...Pit Barrel Modification

I will be putting close up pictures of my valve system on my Pit Barrel on this thread. I need to take some more pictures, the originals were on my other computer that Key-Rashed.

I tried to send you a private message but you have it marked in your User Settings not to receive private messages.

I have 1/2" on both sides. If I can use the B & B with a layer of Kingsford blue and white on top and preheat with the lighter fluid method for 20 minutes, I don't need much from the valves if the ambient temp is over 80 degrees. Even with 4-5 briskets.

Since I mostly cook over night, the valves get used plenty.

Just a hole bit (w/ pilot bit), conduit nuts on both sides, JB weld to seal up on the outside.

Same height as the rebar holes.

Comment

Doh!! I'll have to fix my settings

Thanks!

Comment

That is a GREAT modification.

Comment

I put the first one on the opposite side of the vent, without that extension. I didn't do much, then I thought about the extension to get some flow, and making it symmetrical. That other pic was my first 5 brisket cook. I hooked them up, looked at my wife and said, "OK, let's see if THIS is going to work."

Comment

I probably missed some conversation, why did you do this modification and what has it done to improve the performance of your unit

Comment

Increases the air flow to increase temps when I load her down with briskets. Takes some doing to at least get it 220-250 on overnight cooks.

Comment

Love your engineering skills That's a big load of meat....

Comment

I thought that was the reason, wasn't sure. do you throttle it up when its cold or humid? A problem I rarely see. I am thinking of buying one of those smokers. I first thought about doing a home conversion but then realized that my time and the chance I don't get it right would leave me frustrated and wanting a PBS even more.

Comment

Yeh, at first I had briskets touching coals. Didn't do anything to hurt the brisket, but it snuffed my coals. Now I cut the points off at the end of the flat if they are over 18-19".

I do so much cooking overnight, with this thing I just have to set my Maverick alarms, and go to bed.

The intake is set for the entire cook. You adjust temp by increasing or decreasing the air flow at the top.

On "normal" cooks it rides pretty steady.

Comment

Jerod, what is the purpose of the extra length of pipe? (essentially the stove pipe above and beyond the valve). Does it improve flow or prevent backflow or just move the smoke from your eyes? I can see why you would put in an upper controllable vent (I'm thinking of doing the same thing) Just wondering why the extra pipe is needed. (It does look cool!)

Comment

The extra pipe is needed to create draft. I just had a 90 at first and it really didn't do much.

Comment

• mtford72
                          mtford72 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Of course! Sorry. Chimney's 101.
                          Do you think placing the vent on the lid would have been sufficient? I can see the draft issue when coming out the side, but what about if a simple covered hole was put in the lid - a la Weber kettle?
                          Do the Quarter turn valves have a nylon / plastic internal gasket? I'm wondering if that would melt, or the temps sufficiently cool.
                          I'm toying with two ideas for a similar mod:
                          1) 2 * half inch holes in the middle of the lid, each coverable with a circular magnet. Seems simple enough. 3 Holes might be required. They would obviously be separately opened as needed, or covered with a magnet each.
                          2) Installing 2 * quarter turn 3/4" valves pointing straight up off the lid. Tight control, look suitably stupid, but wondering about nylon bushing inside the valve.

Any thoughts?

I would stay off the lid. I just feel like not having an opening "on the top," really locks in the moisture, and all the gases and FLAVORS that make these babies sing.

I got the regular valves people use on their intakes for some vertical smokers. No melted plastic odors, or any other problems.

Comment

Looks like you are ready to graduate to a full sized 55 gallon barrel. UDS.

Comment

No way. Not the same set up.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here