Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pheasant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pheasant

So, thanks to the thread on good butchers, I now have a couple of pheasants which I plan to do on the PBC tomorrow. Anyone ever done pheasant on one? I'm thinking of leaving them whole like Jerod's quail, but I've never cooked pheasant, so what do I know? I'd be grateful for any tips anyone might have: brining, recipes, anything really.

Any method and/or recipe you use on fowl will work well on pheasant. They have little fat, unlike duck and goose, so you have a couple choices: 1. Low and slow(225-250) or 2. Moderate and faster(325-350). Both work well. In the 80's, I worked under a master chef, who taught me a lot about cooking everything. With the exception of duck, he would say:"It's a bird. Cook it." Of course he wanted it sooner than later! I hope this can be of help. Happy New Year from Houston, Alaska.

Comment

I'd trust this guy ^

Comment

Thanks, Strat. I'm mostly a Tele man, myself. But a Fender man never lies.

Comment

• Strat50
          Strat50 commented
          Editing a comment
          When I find the "right" Tele, I'll have to change my handle...lol

• jmott7
          jmott7 commented
          Editing a comment
          I think about getting a Strat sometimes. Then I realize I'd probably just put it in one of the out-of-phase positions and never stop playing "Beast of Burden." And I'd have to trade in a Gretsch I don't play very often to justify it, and I just can't picture not having a Bigsby in the house anymore.
          Anyway, do you know the music of Jim Campilongo? Great Tele player.

• Strat50
          Strat50 commented
          Editing a comment
          I love the "toaster top" pickups on the Gretsch. I had a Guild with these same pickups. Great and versatile ax that was. I love Bigsbys, as they give me the "shimmer" I like. I had to specially adjust my Strat's tremolo to give this effect. I use the out of phase "king tone" positions frequently. When clean but compressed, they are wonderful. No, I haven't heard of Jim Campilongo. I'll look him up.

Where would an SG guy fit into this conversation?

Comment

• jmott7
          jmott7 commented
          Editing a comment
          I like the sound of an SG, but playing Fenders for so long, I can't get a feel for their necks. But I know Gibson people often feel the same way about Fenders.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I've never owned a Fender, but SGs for sure have a unique neck. Some call it 'longer' I call it set out or shoved out. 12th fret is right there, you don't have to travel back for it.

I've owned a couple SG's and loved them. Like "Q," no wrong answer. You probably won't need a compressor for sustain like I do...lol

Comment

Wet brine for a minimum of three days or inject some brine. The Pheasant I have smoked didn't have enough fat and would dry out or be tough without added moisture.

Comment

• jmott7
            jmott7 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, Bep. Maybe I should skip the PBC and put them in the rotisserie on my Weber Kettle. Any thoughts, one way or the other?

• bep35
            bep35 commented
            Editing a comment
            Go for the PBC! Just have to add moisture either through brine or injection. I used Smokin Oakis Original brine and they were great. Don't know what to tell you to inject as I have never done that. Possibly chicken broth? Let us know how they turn out!

The pheasant was good. The skin wasn't crisp--and I cooked it hot--but the meat was very good.

Comment

• Strat50
            Strat50 commented
            Editing a comment
            Then you are 95% there.The rest is merely details. Cook on, my brother...

Will do. And thanks.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here