Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ribs not as tender in the PBC....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• _John_
    replied
    I just tried my first wrapped ribs on the PBC and it does make quite a bit of difference. These cook fast so instead of a 3-2-1 mine was about 1.5/1/1. I double hooked mine like they do in the PBC video. That allows me to hang it again for the last hour without fear.

Leave a comment:

• mtford72
    replied
    Where to draw the line on tenderness? A question for the ages, probably! If they look right in all regards, and seem to be responding correctly to the 'bend test' (see last meal ribs post), and they pull clean off the bone with a small amount of resistance, they are probably considered pretty good ribs!

If you want to go more tender, wrap them with a liquid. I suspect this might need to be done after the first hour / 1.5 hours, given the speed of the PBC. They may well be done quicker too - 2hours? 2.5 hours? I'd be watching them closely.

Good luck! Matt

Leave a comment:

• carolts
    replied
    I have noticed the same thing, but then again I prefer my ribs with a little more chew to them. My husband, however, does not. I wrap his in foil with a little hard cider and put them on the gas grill while mine are finishing up ( I start mine just a little later).

I've found that the PBC does ribs more like what I get from our local bbq joints and less like what I get from a "fall off the bone" restaurant. We also don't add sauce, just rub.

Glad you're enjoying your PBC...I love mine!

Leave a comment:

• Ligoniera1
    started a topic ribs not as tender in the PBC....

ribs not as tender in the PBC....

First, let me state the since winning my PBC through the Pitmaster Club monthly prize program, I have been amazed by the tool and my family is eating incredible meals. Love the thing.

The catch has been ribs.....they cook quickly, they look great, they taste great....but they have not been as tender as when I do them on the Weber(and fuss it to death to keep the temps rights). This has happened 2x now. In myquite limited experience, I like ribs better off the Weber than the PBC.

I got to wondering about this. I attribute it to my lack of technique, though I've watched Noah's rib video a couple of times. Perhaps it was just the meat as every animal is different.

In doing some research about this, I found a comment from another forum where by the poster suggested that to get tender ribs off of PBC, they would need wrapped and finished in the oven. This caught my attention as it matches my (again, very limited) experience.

Today I will try again. Just wondering if anyone might have some suggestions or experiences that might help me with my quest to get the best product off of my PBC. And *should* tender ribs be possible on this cooker? I"m thinking yes but as I'm not the only one to experience this, I wanted to "run it up the flag pole" here and see what others have to say.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here