Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

advise on a tiny brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

advise on a tiny brisket

I found a tiny CAB brisket at my local grocer, 2lbs. It was a nice looking pc of meat, well marbled, a good bit of fat cap. I know little briskets can suffer from becoming too dry, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how to adjust for the size. Probably common sense but I thought I'd ask, thinking out loud, I'm pre coffee.

I trimmed the fat cap. I dry brined. It will get BBBR. And it will most likely go on the Pit Barrel Cooker with 2 racks of baby backs.

I assume that due to size and cooker, it won't be a long cook. The small size and PBC will minimize any stall, so I'm thinking I need to get it into foil pretty directly at 150deg and either put the rack into the PBC depending on rib status, or move indoors to the oven.

Can any of you more experienced brisket guys and gals tell me if I'm going wrong with this logic? Any suggested improvements or changes?

I usually cook smaller briskest (4-6lbs.). I smoke them in my WSM between 225-250 usually with BBBR. They still take around ten hours to reach 200 internal. Sometimes I wrap other times I just let it go. I find that using beef broth in the wrap provides a great sauce for the brisket. Bottom line, internal temp is the target to know when it's done.

Comment

Thanks Zman. I'll be going by temp for certain. Just looking at it, it's such a small pc. 2lbs, before I trimmed the fat cap. Heck I've done steaks that we nearly the same size, though I understand it's the cut of meat that requires the low and slow.

PBC being a somewhat hotter/faster experience, it'll be interesting to see how this unfolds. Just lit my coals at 11:15, wonder if we'll have brisket for dinner or no. Fortunately the ribs won't take so long.

I think I'm going to wrap this one. Meathead said the little ones tend to dry out, I'll do what I can to mitigate that.

Comment

Here's the info about a small brisket cook that I did on my PBC, Ligoniera1:

2.5 lb (trimmed) Hereford flat at 225-250 degF PBC temp: 5.75 hours to 175 deg F, wrapped for 1.75 hours in 225 deg oven to 203 degF. Rested wrapped in 170 deg oven for 1 hour. Total cook time: 7.5 hours.Total time: 8.5 hours

That brisket was delicious with really good bark. Note that after double wrapping it at 175 internal, I put it in a 225 degree oven to get to an internal temp of 203 because I had other stuff on the PBC that I wanted to cook at higher temps that same day. Sometimes I need two PBCs!

Kathryn

Comment

Thanks Kathryn, your input is always valuable. Tell DH how lucky he is.

Here was my experience with this tiny brisket. As expected, it hit 150 pretty quickly on the PBC. Reviewing my notes, 1 hr and 40 minutes to achieve 150 degrees internal. As I said, small.

I then wrapped with a splash of Bud Light Lime, concerned that this would have an effect on the final flavor. I pulled it out of a 230 oven at 3pm, approximately 4.5 hours after it went onto the PBC . It then went into a faux cambro(Igloo with kitchen towels draped thusly) and sat for 2.5 hrs until dinner.

Results were excellent. Meat tender, smoke ring very obvious, flavor only challenged by the excellent ribs I did at the dame time. A wonderful meal with several bottles of Cline Ancient Vine Zin. Yowza. Really good. BBBR is quite peppery, fine for me, a bit much for several others. I wouldn't change a thing;-)

Comment

• JPP
            JPP commented
            Editing a comment
            I use guiness draught for the liquid...

Originally posted by Ligoniera1 View Post
          A wonderful meal with several bottles of Cline Ancient Vine Zin. Yowza. Really good. BBBR is quite peppery, fine for me, a bit much for several others. I wouldn't change a thing;-)
          Cline Zin is one of my all time favs! And beef with BBBR, mmmm...man oh man I want an invite next time

Comment

Did you say... Ancient vine Zin? Tell me more

Comment

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
              Did you say... Ancient vine Zin? Tell me more
              Indeed. Husky, you should check this out as well. I enjoy Cline Zin, the Ancient Vine Zin is just *more* of a good thing. It's a $13 bottle where I live, making it a good bit more than the Zin but I tend to think it's worth it. Fortunately, none of this is expensive stuff;-), just enjoyable stuff. The best combo....

Comment

Thanks for the update on your small brisket cook, Ligoniera1. It's always fun to read about tasty results. It's good to know you wouldn't change a thing. I'm a huge BBBR fan on brisket as well. Now I'm going hunting for that Cline Ancient Vine Zin you mentioned.

I served a delicious Joel Gott Zin on Saturday night to friends and family, accompanying a spectacular PBC cook with 3 chickens and 12 hot Italian sausages all put in at the same time. My guests were in food and wine heaven, they said. Music to a PBCr's ears for sure. I've got one bottle of the Joel Gott Zin left for leftover night, which is tonight.

Kathryn

Comment

• JPP
                  JPP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I like a nice cab... the trick is finding one that doesn't have too much tannin. I found that the one produced by Josh Cellars to be nicely underpriced and very, very drinkable.

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I"ll look for that one as well, JPP. Thanks for the tip. I love a good and not horribly expensive cab with steak.

Kathryn

I bought the Cline Ancient Vine Zin this afternoon at your recommendation Ligoniera1. It's $14.99 in our area (before the 10% discount for a 6 bottle purchase). I gave it a try while my DH enjoyed a scotch for our cocktail time this evening. Wow what big flavor while gentle on the tannins. Very enjoyable indeed. Thanks for steering me toward that zin!

Kathryn

Comment

I'm chuckling to myself that my brisket thread has become a zin thread. Do good things and good things will happen.

Glad you like it Kathryn and JPP, I shall take your recommendation. Thanks again all.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here