Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC calibration tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version  Name:	61CC3C3E-9A93-4781-B537-D2CD69819E3F.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	86.1 KB ID:	462822 Another pro tip for this thread. Even with the open lid detection off you have to watch it.

The graph is me attempting to start the PBC with just a couple Weber cubes in the box and with the fan set to 300F. I figured it has to light with forced air right? Well you can see where the barrel got over 300, the fan turns off and in the time it took me to manually set the fan (under a minute) I lost full ignition.

After several minutes, opened the lid, re-lit, manual fan still at 100%, waited about 15 minutes or so, lid on and rolling.

Much faster to just use a chimney, don’t try to get too lazy.

I do the cube start all the time in the pk360, but the barrel is a different animal.

Comment

Yeah, I've discovered the initial lighting technique used is KEY for me to get a good start. I use Kingsford Pro so it's 30-40 cubes for 12 minutes in the chimney, dump on the rest of the basket, leave the lid off for 10 minutes, load it up and go. That usually results in a good spike to 425ish and then settles down in the range I want.

Comment

I haven’t noticed it being very specific as long as I toss lit coals in there. I use their small chimney, dump it in and lid on immediately for all the graphs above, including the stock non-fan settings.

I’ve never had to wait with the lid off when using a chimney, only when I tried to get cute and use just the starter cubes.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	94C66A92-5584-4A5D-BC8B-DDE3826E021D.jpeg
Views:	272
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	465342 When I said it would behave differently with food as a heat sink, I was right. Here is a double chicken cook with the fan control set to 350F. It struggled to stay above 320F and you can see when I pulled the chickens out that the barrel easily went to 350 and stayed there.

The chickens ended up great btw.

Comment

There ya go getting all scientific and such! Don’t you know the PBC is a magic black drum and some things science just can’t explain! Just kidding these graphs are interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Polarbear777 View Post
              Calibration tests with no food to characterize settings.
              All using a level basket of KBB, and subset of that ignited by PBC chimney and lid clamped on immediately.

I’m sure things will change with food load, but gives an idea how settings may affect things. Ambient temp was 30-40F.
              Altitude is sea level.
              Temperature at cook is either above 200 or above 300 (when it’s high enough to start cooking)
              Apologies if I’ve missed another link but I really want to hook my digi q up if I get one of these. How did you do it ?

thanks,

Comment

• Polarbear777
                Polarbear777 commented
                Editing a comment
                Just drilled a 1” hole and mounted the pit viper fan with their Weber mount adapter. Then blocked the main stock intake so the fan has full control.
                I put the fan intake at the same height as the stock intake, about 90 degrees away.
                Last edited by Polarbear777; May 5, 2018, 12:54 PM.

• Anonymouslemming
                Anonymouslemming commented
                Editing a comment
                Brilliant - thanks. That seems within my abilities

Polarbear777 great information! Thank you very much. I just received my PBJ yesterday and will probably do a cook tonight. If I do, I'll share my Fireboard data too.

Comment

Just updated the initial plot. I tried B&B char logs and got a 28 hour run at 225F (no food test, just like the others in the same plot)

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow, thanks for that!

Kathryn

• phoccer
                  phoccer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Woah. I was just considering getting a bag of those as I'm all out of charcoal at the moment. I'll definitely have to give them a try.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here