Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC calibration tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoccer
    commented on 's reply
    I haven't done a ton of cooks on my PBC, a dozen, but I haven't seen changes in ambient temps or wind having a huge influence on my cooks. As Polarbear777 mentions, you can definitely create a narrower range of operating temps by connecting a controller.

• Polarbear777
    commented on 's reply
    Was also thinking if you had another drum that was bigger and put the PBC inside, you would have air insulation. You’d have to use a pipe for the input hole and maybe make holes for longer rods so you can access everything while cooking. (And I’d have to make portals for my controller and hard mounted thermometers.)

• Polarbear777
    commented on 's reply
    I’ve been thinking about that but I make up the difference with the thermostatic controller.

Would have to be heat proof because the drum gets hot and would need to be weather resistant because if you had to remove it each time it would be a pain.

• ItsTom
    replied
    Just ordered my PBC Jr. yesterday to supplement my Kamado Joe classic. I was wondering if anyone has thought of or (better yet) tested wrapping the drum with insulation, like some folks do with a water heater. I'm a bit nervous about how changes in ambient temps or wind will affect my cook times. Never was much of an issue with the kamado.

Thanks,
    Tom

Leave a comment:

• Larry Grover
    commented on 's reply
    Far out man! So where are you going from here? Gonna turn it into a space ship?

• N227GB
    replied
    Originally posted by Polarbear777 View Post

Have to have a rain cover (water heater pan with bricks and a pan bolted on the inside fits over the lid handle).
    That's a good idea! The other evening we had a brief rainfall for around 15 minutes, with zero precip in the forecast. The ambient temp in my PBJ dropped over 15 degrees. The only part that got wet was the lid. Come summertime we'll have daily localized downbursts in the late afternoons, so fabricating a rain cover is on my to do list.

Leave a comment:

• Polarbear777
    commented on 's reply
    Of course with food as a heat sink it won’t run quite the same.

The fan buys you extra time and guards against ambient temperature fluctuations (wind) and means you don’t have to crack the lid or damp down.

But I am impressed with how well it runs in stock configuration in benign weather.

• RobertC
    commented on 's reply
    That's a big rain cover.

• jfmorris
    replied
    Looking at those graphs, I am actually impressed by how stable it is for 8 to 9 hours without any fan or control. That may influence my to get a PBC by summer, and push off any pellet cooker purchase until another year. I want something that uses less charcoal and wood than my offset, but with more capacity than my kettle/SNS.

Leave a comment:

• phoccer
    commented on 's reply
    Very well could be. My last two runs have been without the fan. Next one will be with the fan with that feature disabled. Very cool to see it can go 225 all night long. I have a bag of B&B Briquettes to try and those things burn FOREVER.

• Polarbear777
    commented on 's reply
    I was wondering if the early control problems you were having were related to the "open lid detection" "feature" I described.

• phoccer
    replied
    Great info! Thanks for posting! I've found similar results with my Pitmaster IQ 110 hooked up in that it really helps keep the PBC in a tighter range.

Leave a comment:

• Polarbear777
    replied
    Very good. Beef ribs were good too, but they somehow escaped pictures.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1ECEE7B7-C981-43CF-B819-B25685A9A135.jpeg
Views:	717
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	460744

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    replied
    So, what did lt taste like? Just wonderin.

Leave a comment:

• Polarbear777
    replied
    Originally posted by Larry Grover View Post
    ...now that the calibration testing is done where are you going from here?
    Have to have a rain cover (water heater pan with bricks and a pan bolted on the inside fits over the lid handle). And an onboard thermo at grate level, and a sliding door that can seal shut instead of just the stock circular hole so i can have full control with the fan. And two mounted probes and a sealing probe port for the rest so I don’t mess them up sliding rods or food around
    Click image for larger version  Name:	89DD7113-5125-45B3-8ABF-4AE73E50812F.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.72 MB ID:	460700

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here