Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC Mod: Ash Catcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC Mod: Ash Catcher

I love my PBC but didn't like the idea of turning the thing upside down to get the ash out... I found a simple fix in an 18" pizza pan and some metal band strapping. Sheet metal screws secure the band to the pan. The PBC grate brackets are not evenly spaced... I put the pan inside the PBC and used a marker to know where to cut. I'd improve this by cutting larger slots in the pan to make it easier for the Ash Catcher to pass the grates. Using a smaller pan would help but would not protect the whole bottom of the PBC.

Sweet. I have an ash pan with cables I pull out once I finish cooking. I really hated the thought of dumping all that ash out.

Comment

Sweet, simple and effective. The ash lifts out right along with the basket. The bottom of my PBC is barely discolored and there is zero ash on the sides. I've been using it that way from day one... about April of this year. It probably needs a 'tune up' as the metal strapping is starting to weaken from the repeated exposure to heat. But that's a simple fix.

Comment

Nice mod! Looks like it works great.

Kathryn

Comment

Looks good, I think mine just makes ash on its own while I'm not looking.

Comment

What kind of banding did you use ?

Comment

Nice! I may have to try this.

Really the ash disposal is about the only real complaint I have with the PBC.

Comment

Sorry to bump this thread, but I was wondering if anyone had any other fixes for catching ash. I've just been dumping my PBC, but the ash falls to the side of the PBC and turns it a rust looking color. I was thinking about buying the pizza pan below, but then need to figure out what kind of "handles" to install to it to pull it out (and even more importantly, how to install them):

Comment

• Munch
                  Munch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You could suspend it an inch or so below the coal basket with a short piece of small link chain with a hook on the end. Attach the chain to 3 points on pizza pan and lift the hooks up over the edge of the basket. When the basket is lowered into the PBC the chain will sag, but stay hooked. This will allow the basket and pan to be separated for cleaning.

• W.A.
                  W.A. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I drilled two holes on each side and made two handles out of braided wire to grab the pan with the coal basket.

I have mine on blocks, so i just cut down a small bucket and sweep the ashes into the bucket.

Comment

*Cough* Aluminum foil *Cough* Right fzxdoc?
                  Last edited by Jerod Broussard; September 6, 2015, 06:36 PM. Reason: z in fzxdoc

Comment

• Munch
                    Munch commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thx for the fix Jerod.

• Jerod Broussard
                    Jerod Broussard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It was easy, took 3,897 tries before I spelled it right myself. Munch

+1 for the foil (and a vacuum when I am clutzy)

Comment

Yup. Heavy duty foil and I replace every third cook or so... Cheap 'n easy.

Comment

Yup, Munch , I replace the heavy duty foil liner at the bottom of the barrel (double layers) every cook. It's easy to do and the double layer is double insurance against the ash going through a split piece of foil.

I couldn't do it any other way--I don't like inhaling ash, so being able to lift out the basket and set it directly into a large leaf bag, closing the top, and emptying the basket, then letting things settle before opening the bag to extricate the basket works for me. After I have removed the basket from the PBC, I fold up the foil into a neat little pouch and tuck it into the trash bag as well. Next I ask my husband to carry the trash bag out to the trash can. Sometimes that even works.

Kathryn

Comment

PBC will soon roll out an ash removal accessory.

Comment

• krankster
                          krankster commented
                          Editing a comment
                          which I'm sure I'll buy the instant I can darn it.... it's an addiction - but at least it feeds us good food

Originally posted by Max Good View Post
                        PBC will soon roll out an ash removal accessory.
                        Figures - I just bought a 16" pie pan for the bottom. Trying it out for the first time today.

Comment

• New2Cue
                          New2Cue commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Good to know. The 16" pan worked nicely on yesterday's cook. Caught almost all the ash, and I had plenty of room to stick my fingers on the sides to pull it out. Much better than lifting and tipping the PBC into a garbage bag.

• Tim E
                          Tim E commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I do the same thing with the 16" pan, it works well enough

• New2Cue
                          New2Cue commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I've now had a few cooks with the 16" pan - it's holding up well and catching pretty much all the ash. My arms are long enough to lift it out of the PBC without getting grease all over my clothes thankfully.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here