Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC - The Colorado Microwave!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC - The Colorado Microwave!!

Last night I cooked a 9.7lb pork butt. Unremarkable, so didn't take any photos at the start.
    However, it finished to 203 in under 6 hours. No crutch. Whole. Then it just fell apart in trying to take it off the grate - I'd put that in as a safety measure - thankfully. I literally poured it off the grate onto an oven tray to rest.

It was gorgeous. Fully barked, moist as moist could be - it produced over 6lbs of pulled pork, adding back a 6 ounces for the bone, it only lost about 3lbs of water.

I'll post graphs and pics later - christmas eve is busy! But I just thought that the speed of the cook was remarkable. The temp range was around 300 for almost the whole 6 hours. I ran the pipes fully open (I wrote that mod up in a previous post). Interestingly, about the time the stall ended it looks like the temp in the PBC started to climb again.

Matt

Sounds good, if I remember right Dr Blonder had in an article that if you go over 300 you will hit little if any stall. Not sure where I read or heard that though.

Comment

I've got 2 that weigh in at 18.75 lbs that I am planning on cooking on PBC Saturday. Going to push it to the limit again and I hope to get a cook as good as yours!

Comment

Awesome!!!!!!!!

The stall is a phenomenon of low and slow cooking.

Comment

I really like that name, Matt! >>> PBC - The Colorado Microwave

Comment

Agree. "The Colorado Microwave" is pretty descriptive on how fast it cooks. Doesn't really convey how awesome it makes the food though. "The Colorado Microwave Super Smokin Cooker" gets closer, but certainly doesn't roll off the tongue as well. lol

Comment

Ok - Couldn't get the graph to work. Working on a MAC, and clearly the transition is going to take time.

So describing the graph = I didn't open the barrel once. initially PBC hit 380, dropped back to 300 over first hour. It then stepped down to 275 for the next 3 hours. We had to leave the house, so I opened both pipes thinking that it would take many more hours. The temp climbed to 330 then back to 300 over the course of the next 2 hours. It was done after that. I really only just got home in time. 6 hours total cooking. It then rested overnight - I wanted sleep and the meat was going to be frozen anyway.

Here is the pics of it after I literally poured it off the grate. (I pulled out the bone in the second pic).

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141223_233131.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	44401

Name:	20141223_233216.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	44402

And the finished pulled product.

Name:	20141224_121155.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	44403

Merry Christmas!
              Last edited by mtford72; December 25, 2014, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Poured off the grate sounds terrible, but the last pic looks great.

Comment

Gimme a bun and a fork. Bun optional. Fork optional. Nicely done!

Comment

Hey, that looks like my sheet pan! Just wish mine had that pulled pork on it right now - would make for something good for breakfast

Comment

Yummy yum yum. That PBC worked like a champ, looks like, with your mods, Matt. Congrats and happy eating!

Kathryn

Comment

• mtford72
                        mtford72 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thank you Kathryn. I did the turkey at 325 or so, running both pipes open. It was fabulous. I need to test, but this 300 and a bit with low airflow seems to be working out really well.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here