Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

17 lb turkey, 8 lb brisket, 2.5 lb chuck roast....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

17 lb turkey, 8 lb brisket, 2.5 lb chuck roast....

HOT B & B charcoal, both pipes open, lid cracked.........staying steady, can hear the turkey pouring out moisture. Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010008.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	43347 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010009.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	43348

Let 'er rip Doc!

Comment

Turkey got done in 1 hour 45 minutes. Legs little darker than I like, but man, "Crispy Skin!!!"

At 2.5 hours I'm gonna start barking up the beef. Need a quick cook.

FYI- I have one thermometer, near the lid, one hanging down towards the middle of the brisket flat, both read within 4 degrees of each other, sometimes the same.

Comment

Fast cook for a bird that big, do anything special? Trying to thaw a 15 pounder now, 5 days in the fridge did nothing.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm about to wrap my brisket at the 3 hour mark. Should get done by the 4 hour mark. Rest for 2.5 hours. Cut, chop, and deliver all bagged up.

Oh yeh, 187 internal and rising. 334 pit temp.
          Last edited by Jerod Broussard; December 23, 2014, 06:06 PM.

I thawed mine for about 10 days to make sure. You got a fridge thermometer?

I spatched it yesterday, patted it dry, laid it breast up on a wire rack until it was time to cook.

Generic hypoallergenic rub. Gave a wing to a lady at work from the Thanksgiving bird. She got mad at me. Said I was merely baiting her. Told me to cook her one for Christmas.
        Last edited by Jerod Broussard; December 23, 2014, 05:54 PM.

Comment

• _John_
          _John_ commented
          Editing a comment
          My fridge runs on the cold side indeed, but I thought that would be plenty of time. You know I've only done it 4 times in the last 2 months... I need to write this stuff down!

I can't figure out how you're getting meat done (and good) that fast on the PBC.. Got mine 10 days ago and I've had 4 cooks. 1 split chicken was good. 3 PBs not so much. My 5.5 pounder yesterday took 5+ hours to get to 158. At that point my heat was all over the place... Finished in the oven and it was ok at best.

Comment

• _John_
          _John_ commented
          Editing a comment
          Not sure why your heat would be all over the place, these things run pretty darn consistently. What temp did your PBC run at. By what you describe my guess is 230-250.

I'm about to get a brisket done in 3 hours 21 minutes. Fastest one yet. Done.

Key to this was A LOT of heat under the other rebar kicking a turkey's rear end, so I wasn't burning the end of the flat, but still had plenty heat. Pit temp was around 333-345. I also went to the grate early to bark up both sides. Fat cap first.

How are you cooking the butts. Hanging, on the rack??
        Last edited by Jerod Broussard; December 23, 2014, 06:26 PM.

Comment

On the PBC I'm hanging on the rebar. Looks just like yours but not as good. Ha! I'm inserting the hooks per Noahs video. (one under bone and one under the muscle across from it) My first PBs hung a little horizontal/sideways. Yesterday's I made sure it was verticle/up and dowm. It's gotta be heat. I'm spiking in the 300's and then dropping hard. Venting around 200 and overshooting to 275. Then quickly back to 200. Never drops under 200 and averages mid 2's but stalls at 150ish. Same grocer and cuts on my vertical smoker hit 160 quick and then stall. I'll post the specifics in the PBC 101 thread later tonight.

Comment

• _John_
            _John_ commented
            Editing a comment
            Check you intake, because it almost has to be that or the coals aren't getting lit well enough. Kind of hard to say when you let it spike to 300 and it drops to 200, that really sounds like your intake not being opened enough.

Whatever happen to LOW & SLOW???

Comment

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            Huskee, I'm alright now. I just forgot to take my meds and I got all excited when he mention big $$$
            Last edited by DWCowles; December 23, 2014, 09:02 PM.

• _John_
            _John_ commented
            Editing a comment
            You can get a PBC for less than a good cambro! I love my PBC for what it does, but I do want to work with logs. No tool is the best for everything.

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            HAHAHA DW! You'll will get that barrel soon.

After 2 hours and 30 minutes of resting....brisket was perfect. 1st pic is the top of the point that was separated. 2nd pic is the bottom of the point. No injecting, nothing added when I wrapped. Plenty juiciness. 3rd pic is the flat. Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010010.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	43507 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010014.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	43508 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010013.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	43509

Comment

You are the brisket king, that's for sure. Jerod Briskessard.

I too once had a full packer get cambro-ready at the 4 hr mark. Pit Boss probably remembers that. It totally floored me.

Comment

Did you hang the bird whole!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                Yeh, I never thought of wrapping the legs.
                Last edited by Jerod Broussard; December 23, 2014, 09:49 PM.

• GRBishop
                GRBishop commented
                Editing a comment
                I know this is from a long time ago, but can you describe for me how you cook chuck roast? I’m a new member and you sure seem knowledgeable. Thanks

Nice chuck roast sammich. Little Mayo. 2nd pic is the chopped brisket. 3rd pic is a little squeeze to produce that Select Shine. Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010016.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	43522 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010015.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	43523 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010012.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	43524

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                I'll leave the king stuff to those who cook that stuff for a living.

But that crap sure smells good when you know you can't have any of it.

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                But you do it for love not money. That matters more.

• DWCowles
                DWCowles commented
                Editing a comment
                Exactly, Huskee

Very nice cook(s), Jerod. Every time I see one of your brisket photos I want to get my knife and fork out. Glad to hear that your turkey cook was smokin' as well!

Kathryn

Comment

Good stuff! Put mine on at 5PM EST. Vertical propane. Just now at 158 and you've already cleaned up the dishes! Definately trying that chopped brisket tommorow!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Editing a comment
                  I slice up the two muscles (hot) and combine them through a grinder with a 12mm plate. Works great.

Who said anything about cleaning up dishes. I gots a gooooood stack going near the sink.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here