Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 lb. and 7 lb. Ribeye Roast. (PBC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 lb. and 7 lb. Ribeye Roast. (PBC)

Hey Guys/Gals,
    I just picked up a 10 lb. Prime Ribeye roast at Cost co. 18.99/lb. I also have another 7 pounder that a client sent my father and we were going to do both at the same time. I'm going to use the Cow Crust that Meat Head suggests. I guess my question is...how tough will it be to get that uniform medium rare through out the cut? I'm planning on putting the Ribeyes on the PBC until the sear, then I will sear on my Broil King Keg Komodo with Vortex. I can't fit both hunks-o-meat in the Keg so I'm going to have to go to the PBC then to the keg. Do you think its possible to get the PBC to 225F and hold it there for say 3-5 hours. My only concern is, I don't think I've ever cooked with my PBC at that temp. So am I going to be dealing with up and down temp the whole time, or will it hold at 225F? Oh, yeah and all of the ovens are going to in use. So thats why I was handed the torch to cook these bad boys. I was the only one with the cooking space!!! Works out for me!! (and hopefully for all of us) Any tid bits of information is much appreciated!!! Happy Holidays!!

Spinaker, I did a 9 hour cook on the PBC holding the temp between 225 and 240 with only two interventions--once to crack the lid to bump the temp after 2 hours of cooking and once again to plug the rebars to drop the temp after about 7 hours. Otherwise, it stayed pretty steady in that 15 degree window.

Within about 5 minutes after hanging the meat, I usually crack the lid to get the temp to spike in the 340-360 degree range, but with that low and slow cook I only let it spike at 300 before reseating the lid and letting it do its thing.

For that cook, the PBC ran happily in that lower range. I've not repeated it because I like to do long cooks at higher temps now, so it's not like I've got a history of 225 deg F cooks, so take this info with a grain of salt.

Let us know how your cook turns out. Should be a lot of fun.

Kathryn

Comment

I did a 9 lb prime rib for one of our Christmas gatherings. Smoked on the PBC with cow crust rub mixed in olive oil. Hung that bad boy on the hooks, pulled it off at 125, and covered for about 15 minutes ( person that it was cooked for was a little late). Did not reverse sear. My son-in-law that it was cooked for claimed it was the best prime rib he had EVER had. It was rather good. I was pleased.

Comment

I think that I've cooked thousands, maybe tens of thousands of prime ribs in my 35+ years as a line dog and chef. Pre seared, reverse seared, etc. The essence of cooking a prime rib is low and slow, however; the lower you go, the drier the cooking environment needs to be. I've cooked them as low as 200, or as high as 350(NOT my preference, but if the person signing the checks says so, then 350 it is). In the restaurant, the oven we use is an Alto-Shamm type, which has a water reservoir below the main cooking area. However, below 250 it doesn't seem to make much difference in the ribs finished quality. Of course, for us Q'ers," it is easy to adjust moisture levels(depending on your rig). The real key is: low and slow. The low and slow, plus a rest time after the cook, will keep your chosen temp( rare, medium, etc.) from top to bottom of your prime. I've pre-seared in a 650 degree pizza oven, for example, and reverse seared. What really made a difference was the humidity during the cook. Understand, from a culinary standpoint, either work very well. The rest is splitting hairs.

Having said all that stuff; if a particular method gives you what you like, then do it. We're cooking food, not saving lives here.

Comment

Much delayed final product picture from Christmas dinner. The prime rib turned out awesome. I was really happy with the results and so was everybody else in attendance. Thanks for helping me make this special meal taste that much better.
          Here is what I did. I dry brined the meat 48 hours before I started cooking. The rub went on at about 12 hours prior to cooking. Once I was ready to cook. I put the meat on my Broil King Keg for the slow 225 F cook. I used the Keg because of the water pan. I felt like I needed to have a water pan between the fire and the meat, plus I wanted to catch the drippings for gravy. So, I decided to sear on the PBC. In order to get he coals to be closer to the grate, I put a cinderblock, on end, in the PBC. I then place the fire basket on top of the block. This put the basket right under the grate. I preheated the coals in my chimney, put them in the basket and turned my BBQ dragon up to high.
          Once the meat hit an IT of 115 F (the smaller roast first) I took them off and seared them one by one. I would say that the average time one each side was about 3 mins. One the first roast I burned the outside a bit. My fire was just way to hot!!! It still tasted fine but not what I was going for. The second roast was seared to perfection. Once I had the timing down, it was golden brown on all sides as I turned it on the fire. This was a really fun cook for me and those who were watching me do it, not to mention those who were eating it!!
          The reverse sear really worked well for me. I posted a picture to my Instagram page with #reversesear and now I've gotten all my friends asking me, "What is the reverse sear?!?" or "How do you do the reverse sear" I just send'm here.
          All in All I was very happy with the results. I found that this is a much easier cook when you have two cookers going at once!!!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2775.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	45700 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2776.JPG
Views:	633
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	45701 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2779.JPG
Views:	635
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	45697
          Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow, this is an old one

Beautiful job Spinaker!

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you sir. That means a lot coming from an experienced chef.

Great job! I like your technique of turning your PBC into a searing machine with the brick, that's thinking smart!

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Well you know what they say, "Necesity is the mother of invention." Perhaps they're right.

Yum!..

Comment

I came across rib roast at Aldi's here that is 7.99 a pound. May have to pick up one and try it out. Can't go wrong with prime rib.

Comment

Talk about an old post...

Comment

Spinaker - I know that was 2014 but would you do anything different today?

Comment

Man, IDK.

I do things very differently now. I go with the Sous vide version. I pre sear in the dry-aged tallow with garlic, rosemary and salt. I like to cook sous vide with the sear meat in the bag. Those amino acids really boosts the flavor. Then I sous vide at 125 F for 5 hours. Then finish it off in the broiler or the BGE. (Here is a link to that thread, where I briefly mention it)

I still use Mrs. O'leary's Cow Crust. I love that stuff. I roll it in the rub after the sous vide step and then move to searing....turning constantly.

Its awesome you went on the big dig for this old thread, it is fun to read the old stuff!

Comment

Any left??

Comment

You haven't age a bit since then if I look at your photo from 2014 and your current one 😊.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here